Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default MD2030 strange partially connected relay?

I have a Beneteau 331 with MD2030D. I have noticed that there is a relay clipped to a wire behind the alternator. There is also an unconnected black wire connected to alternator B-, this might have come away while I was taking photos, although there is no sign of a connector for it. Adjacent to the relay is a not connected red and black that seems to be part of the original wiring loom, the red of which has been clipped up.

The relay looks like some addition and not the "earth relay" shown in the workshop manual. It has no connection on the 85 coil pin. Apart from maybe the black wire (which may or may not have become disconnected) this wiring is how it has been during the three years of my ownership.

So, any ideas what this relay is for? If I leave as is will my charging work OK when I relaunch?

Photos:
    IMG_20190405_164108709.jpg IMG_20190405_164047293.jpg IMG_20190405_164507780.jpg

Default Re: MD2030 strange partially connected relay?

I had a Beneteau Oceanis 361 for 12 years (what a lovely boat), with the MD2030, that I recently sold in order to upgrade. Also had that relay which I never understood its purposes but I am not an electrician anyway!
    The black cable is the earth wire of the alternator. It should attach at a bolt somewhere on the engine block (near the big bolt for the batteries earth wire). If not connected or if poorly connected (corrosion) it will cause all sort of crazy problems (I know this from first hand...!)

Edit: Some more photos (I think the first one was not very helpful)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cmedsailor; 09-04-19 at 12:56.
    Keep sailing

Quote Originally Posted by ithet View Post
    I have a Beneteau 331 with MD2030D. I have noticed that there is a relay clipped to a wire behind the alternator. There is also an unconnected black wire connected to alternator B-, this might have come away while I was taking photos, although there is no sign of a connector for it. Adjacent to the relay is a not connected red and black that seems to be part of the original wiring loom, the red of which has been clipped up.

The relay looks like some addition and not the "earth relay" shown in the workshop manual. It has no connection on the 85 coil pin. Apart from maybe the black wire (which may or may not have become disconnected) this wiring is how it has been during the three years of my ownership.

So, any ideas what this relay is for? If I leave as is will my charging work OK when I relaunch?

Photos:
    IMG_20190405_164108709.jpg IMG_20190405_164047293.jpg IMG_20190405_164507780.jpg
    Hello:

From what I can see this relay will currently do nothing, the red wire comes from the alternator output, but the other side of the coil has no connection to -v as it is currently wired.

I suspect the stray black with no connector on it should go into the back of the relay with the other black, it was probably crimped into one of the connectors with the other black; so you would have had one connector with two blacks in it, which was 'daisy chained' to another short black with a connector on the end.

If it was connected as described above, the relay would have operated when the alternator is generating power, proving a 'switched ground' (0v) that was connected only when the engine was on (and the alternator creating +12v), the bare terminal of the relay would need another wire on it for the 'switched ground' to connect to.... something.

No idea what an earth relay as mentioned in your manual, might be for - unless it's something to do with a switched earth that is operated when the engine is in a particular state - do you have a picture of the wiring for the earth relay to post - it might help shed some light?

Could it be the glow plug relay?

Thanks for those answers. I can confirm the is another black wire to ground from the B-. I did assume the relay would not work as present. Sounds like it might have been deliberately disconnected, the PO did a lot of rearranging of the control panel wiring. Sounds like nothing that will affect the engine when we launch - tomorrow!

Thanks for those answers. I can confirm the is another black wire to ground from the B-. I did assume the relay would not work as present. Sounds like it might have been deliberately disconnected, the PO did a lot of rearranging of the control panel wiring. Sounds like nothing that will affect the engine when we launch - tomorrow!
    Goodness ( and perhaps the previous owner ) knows what the relay is supposed to do. Whatever it is it wont do it with the coil disconnected. You may find something now does not work, then you'll know otherwise you will have to follow the other wires to find out what it is connected to.

The D version of the engine should normally only have 2 relays. The start relay and the glow-plug relay, both of which are in the relay box.

Only the earliest versions, in which the engine is not electrically isolated from the transmission , have an earthing relay but that is a heavy duty thing similar in size and shape to the starter solenoid and capable of carrying the starter motor current. It is mounted on a bracket below the starter motor.

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    Goodness ( and perhaps the previous owner ) knows what the relay is supposed to do. Whatever it is it wont do it with the coil disconnected. You may find something now does not work, then you'll know otherwise you will have to follow the other wires to find out what it is connected to.

The D version of the engine should normally only have 2 relays. The start relay and the glow-plug relay, both of which are in the relay box.

Only the earliest versions, in which the engine is not electrically isolated from the transmission , have an earthing relay but that is a heavy duty thing similar in size and shape to the starter solenoid and capable of carrying the starter motor current. It is mounted on a bracket below the starter motor.
    They were fitted to act as a switch for the anchor winch circuit so that it would only work when the engine was running

Quote Originally Posted by skipper_stu View Post
    They were fitted to act as a switch for the anchor winch circuit so that it would only work when the engine was running
    Ithet's anchor winch isn't going to work with the relay coil disconnected. At least that will confirm the purpose of the relay.

A relay just danging in the wiring does not say much for Beneteau's standards.

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    Ithet's anchor winch isn't going to work with the relay coil disconnected. At least that will confirm the purpose of the relay.
    Stu's suggestion does sound likely .... possibly the relay has just been bypassed by the windlass low current circuit?

Richard

Photos:
    Could it be a split charge relay? Badly installed.
    The Zen Master said "we'll see"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast