Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Lattitude and longitude formats, an obvious observation

This is all very obvious really, but I found it interesting. Reading the stuff about GPS rollover and checking your equipment I thought I would check mine, even though I think it is all too young to worry about. So two Garmin GPS 72 s and an E trek, plus my Lenovo tablet with Marine Navigator app. The Garmins all correlated but not at all with my tablet, although the tablet showed me to be exactly in the right place on the screen. It took me quite a while to twig that the tablet was using a different format (5 decimal places). I don't use the tablet for navigation that much and I'm not sure in normal circumstances you would use it for position that often, you just look at where it places you on the chart. So the exercise was a good reminder about formats. I hope in the unlikely event of a non DSC mayday I'd get the format right

Just to show the difference (were anyone interested) 0 degrees57.608' W, is the same as 0.96013 W. Took me too long to feel happy about that!

Default Re: Lattitude and longitude formats, an obvious observation

We have plenty of posts on YBW over the years where posters have got confused between the different formats so the confusion certainly does happen in the "real" world.

Richard

If you use an app like Mad Mutt Marine or Saildroid you get the readout in 'standard' format.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by FairweatherDave View Post
    This is all very obvious really, but I found it interesting. Reading the stuff about GPS rollover and checking your equipment I thought I would check mine, even though I think it is all too young to worry about. So two Garmin GPS 72 s and an E trek, plus my Lenovo tablet with Marine Navigator app. The Garmins all correlated but not at all with my tablet, although the tablet showed me to be exactly in the right place on the screen. It took me quite a while to twig that the tablet was using a different format (5 decimal places). I don't use the tablet for navigation that much and I'm not sure in normal circumstances you would use it for position that often, you just look at where it places you on the chart. So the exercise was a good reminder about formats. I hope in the unlikely event of a non DSC mayday I'd get the format right

Just to show the difference (were anyone interested) 0 degrees57.608' W, is the same as 0.96013 W. Took me too long to feel happy about that!
    A good reminder to always check units, scales etc!

Would it be less confusing if the programmer avoided decimals of a minute and displayed the fraction as seconds? Perhaps not!

Quote Originally Posted by penberth3 View Post
    Would it be less confusing if the programmer avoided decimals of a minute and displayed the fraction as seconds? Perhaps not!
    Aren't paper charts marked up with decimal minutes these days?

Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by mjcoon View Post
    Aren't paper charts marked up with decimal minutes these days?

Mike.
    Yes
    Someone more informed will come along any minute

Okay. To standardise this conversation
    Garmin gives three options on my handhelds
    1. hddd.ddddd degrees
    2 hddd degrees mm.mmm'
    3 hddd degrees mm'ss.s"

(sorry, don't know how to show the degrees symbol)
    To which option are you referring with "decimal minutes" on the paper charts?

(Apols for the clumsy English, just trying for clarity, not trying to sound confrontational!)

The excellent Marine Navigator app lets you choose the lat/long format, just go to Settings and it's the first option.

1. hddd.ddddd degrees
    2 hddd degrees mm.mmm'
    3 hddd degrees mm'ss.s"

(Apols for the clumsy English, just trying for clarity, not trying to sound confrontational!)
    I'm learning
    Option 1. is decimal degrees
    Option 2. is decimal minutes
    Option 3 is sexagesimal

My GPS were set to option 2 and my tablet to option1. As stated, I haven't used my tablet much with Marine Navigator, even less to look at lat and long. But I will set it to option2

1. hddd.ddddd degrees
    2 hddd degrees mm.mmm'
    3 hddd degrees mm'ss.s"

If you want to do something like use a Special Character when posting on this forum, compose your post in your Word Processor and copy in to your post, like this:

1.*hddd.ddddd º
    2 hddd º*mm.mmm'
    3 hddd º mm'ss.s"
    On the internet no one knows you are a donkey.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast