Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default AIS receiver or AIS transceiver

Help me to decide please. I have the option to replace my vhf with a unit (ray73)that includes ais receiver for 240 euros or buy an ais transceiver (raymarine AIS700) for 860 euros. Big difference. Is it worth it? Is the transceiver in a not very busy sea (given where I sail) a must or an extra luxury?
    Thanks
    Keep sailing

Default Re: AIS receiver or AIS transceiver

I used to have just the AIS receiver, until a rough crossing of the North Sea in heavy fog. Quite frightening in close proximity to ships and not knowing whether they could spot us on their radar or not. Now we are based in Turkey and, as you describe, not often in busy seas. Or fog! But being able to transmit does mean our friends can spot us and maybe come and join us. Also means the Turkish coastguard know exactly who we are, which some may consider good news, others perhaps not.
    And if we venture back to busy waters, then it will definitely be a good bit of kit to have.
    Peter

Why not go for one of the cheap matsutec transponders, I'm quite pleased with mine and they seem to have a good name.

Be safe, be seen! I would go for the the Transponder.

I would also go for the transceiver whilst you're at it. As Snowbird suggests, investigate the option of a cheaper vanilla DSC radio plus a cheaper transceiver.

Richard

I had this dilemma last year and chose an AIS receiver. I use my AIS receiver and VHF radio very defensively to judge and then avoid potential collision situations, calling up vessels to check their intentions and warning them that (usually) I'm about to take change course well before a dangerous situation occurs.

I have a Radar Target Enhancer that improves my electronic visibility to ships and larger fishing vessels and pleasure craft. But I wouldn't rely on it (nor a class B AIS transmitter) to alert other vessels nor for them to respond. Then again, I'm a bit of a coward and control freak!

As said above you don't need to buy the Raymarine piece of kit although it is plug and play if you already have a backbone in place. The cheaper units all use nmea so you can add it but will need to check with Raymarine (assuming that is your chartplotter now) which wires to use on your plotter.

I went for a Camino 108S alongside my raymarine refresh last year. Works really well and isn't 860 euros.

Quote Originally Posted by englishrobs View Post
    I went for a Camino 108S alongside my raymarine refresh last year. Works really well and isn't 860 euros.
    +1 for Camino (Also sold rebadged by McMurdo AFAIK)

Personally would go for transceiver but if budget an issue just find a reliable brand . We have Raymarine but I notice no difference to previous boats one from Digital yacht. I guess it depends on ease of fitting and tech knowledge though as to fitting other makes and units of time to fit .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast