South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Default Machinery spares

I am not-and have never professed to be-an Engineer.

I have a cheap Clarke Lathe Mill in the workshop which enables me to make simple spacers, bushes, slim down screw and bolt heads and do more stuff than a pillar drill.

Recently, the simple direction switch fell to bits-the forward and reverse is done by reversing the motor.

Clarke's, through their agent Machine mart wanted almost 65 quid to send a new one. It came complete with the On/Off and Emergency Stop switches.

Not only did this mean removing about twenty single coloured wires-always trouble-but seemed very expensive for a simple six pole latching rocker switch.

I marked the terminals very simply-L/R, 1,2,3, and ordered a 2.99 switch off ebay.

It arrived today, was fitted quickly and now works perfectly as it did before.

The 2.99 switch was one of a pair for that price, so I now have a spare.

That will do for me!

Default Re: Machinery spares

Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    ...The 2.99 switch was one of a pair for that price, so I now have a spare...
    Pix ?

Boo2

There is always a great sense of satisfaction in beating the system and repairing something for almost nothing!
    He said, "All men will be sailors then until the sea shall free them."

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa

Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    I am not-and have never professed to be-an Engineer.

I have a cheap Clarke Lathe Mill in the workshop which enables me to make simple spacers, bushes, slim down screw and bolt heads and do more stuff than a pillar drill.

Recently, the simple direction switch fell to bits-the forward and reverse is done by reversing the motor.

Clarke's, through their agent Machine mart wanted almost 65 quid to send a new one. It came complete with the On/Off and Emergency Stop switches.

Not only did this mean removing about twenty single coloured wires-always trouble-but seemed very expensive for a simple six pole latching rocker switch.

I marked the terminals very simply-L/R, 1,2,3, and ordered a 2.99 switch off ebay.

It arrived today, was fitted quickly and now works perfectly as it did before.

The 2.99 switch was one of a pair for that price, so I now have a spare.

That will do for me!
    I had the same thing happen with a Ryobi bench saw so I replaced the "special" switch with a simple toggle switch available in any electrical shop.

The saw motor then burned out and it was cheaper to replace the whole saw than replace the motor.

I also fixed a hand circular saw, I got as a price down item in a end of line sale, to the bench now I have 2 bench saws.
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

65 for a switch? Did you tell them you had a boat, or did they just guess?
    If voting changed anything, they wouldn't let you do it.

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by Laysula View Post
    65 for a switch? Did you tell them you had a boat, or did they just guess?
    The switch needed was only available as a complete facia panel incorporating the start switch, the big red emergency stop switch and the F/R switch.

I just went to ebay, typed in "Latching 6 pole on/off/on rocker switch" and lots came up.

I could have had what looked like the same switch for 99p from China, free postage, but 2-3 weeks lead time.

Boo 2-sorry dont do pics on here. First mate says I waste more than enough time here without that as well!