Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Sikaflex black caulk??

Quote Originally Posted by gjgm View Post
    Ok..I was thinking that the general marine silicon also comes in small tubes (£6), whereas 300ml is going to go a long way for a small repair, and it doesn't keep !
    Fair enough. For the price of the 300ml he'll be happy to pay it, even for the tiny amount he needs.

For a tiny repair you can use anything incl leftover dregs of Sika 291, saba760xl or 3M 4200. But the official Sika deck product is their polyurethane 290dc while tds's silicone product is tds440. I much prefer 440 and it's is widely specced on superyachts. Better sun resistance but maybe not a problem where you are. When I say silicone it's nothing like bathroom silicone.
    Sorry if repeating anything above.

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    For a tiny repair you can use anything incl leftover dregs of Sika 291, saba760xl or 3M 4200.
    If you're going to sand it after then don't use 291, we accidentally used one tube of 291 rather than 290 when laying our teak flooring. Didn't settle into the gap or sand as well as the 290, if you look closely you can see tiny air bubbles and the colour is slightly different. Not noticable unless you're looking for it and it's not exposed so not a problem for us.
    I guess we don't know what you mean by a tiny amount, but be aware you use a lot more than you expect. We paid 3 times as much for the tubes of 290 as we did for the teak.

"Tiny repair" means tiny, which is smaller than "small". Like 30mm long repair. Not something that requires "tubes" plural.

There was about 5 pea size amounts needed so very little... sorry can't be more technical! Not sure what he did in the end as im abroad but boat now in the water.

Thanks again all for the advice

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12