Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Solent, UK
    Posts
    4,591

    Default Cherbourg Scuttlebutt 2019

    Hi folks,

    Just had a look at the tides for September. It looks as if the best weekend will be Friday 6th, then 20th. Weather is always a lottery but earlier is usually better. Are we going to do this again this year? If so, are the usual suspects happy to organise?
    Grow old disgracefully, it's more fun

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,308

    Default Re: Cherbourg Scuttlebutt 2019

    Wow, you read my mind, I was just thinking of this today! Truly sad to say, but I think I'm going to take a raincheck on this. The problem is threefold:

    1. There have been repeated and increasingly sophisticated attempts to smuggle illegals across the English Channel. I have spoken off the record to people with knowledge of French law enforcement authorities, and it is a matter of public record that a number of French Yachtsmen have been required to travel to Calais and other destinations for in-depth interviews. The smuggling to which they were inadvertently party to was not of an unsophisticated nature.

    2. The Scuttlebutt Cherbourg trip is a wonderfully British affair with all sorts of character going under all sorts of fun names. The 'organisers' do nothing to verify any details.

    3. Brexit is creating an additional layer of uncertainty which may leave French and British border officials feeling exposed if their information channels are damaged. Moreover, there is the very real likelihood that a tougher line on immigrants by the French and UK authorities will increase tensions all round.

    In the circumstances, at least until some of this is resolved, I do not feel able to put myself forward as an organiser of this year's event and unfortunately I believe Angele to be of the same mind. FWIW, I think the Cruising Association (?) has put some of its rallies on hold for similar reasons.

    It's such a shame, but to head out into such a law enforcement fog with no radar or reliable forecasts just seems too risky.

    Absolutely delighted if anybody takes a contrary view.
    Last edited by dom; 11-04-19 at 13:46.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Southminster, essex
    Posts
    9,028

    Default Re: Cherbourg Scuttlebutt 2019

    Good!!! Because I am arranging 2 cruise in company events for our club ( possibly 3)& want to be sure there are spaces in 5 French ports for my members. The more other cruises that cancel the better. Esp when we go to the D day landing event.
    I see absolutely no reason to spoil our activities just because of a few " perceived" problems that will never arise.
    All this "Brexit" hassle & immigrant talk etc. is rubbish. As is project fear (no I do not intend to get on a debate about it in this thread).
    S.d it. I intend to carry on as normal with my cruising plans this year & deal with any problems IF they arise.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    3,429

    Default Re: Cherbourg Scuttlebutt 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    I do not feel able to put myself forward as an organiser of this year's event and unfortunately I believe Angele to be of the same mind.
    Same mind, but for different reasons. See below.

    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat47 View Post
    If so, are the usual suspects happy to organise?
    Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on which way you look at it), I'm not going to be able to organise anything this year. I'm taking voluntary severance from my job, leaving around the end of June, and I plan to head off sailing for most/all of the subsequent 3 months. I have little idea where this will take me, but it is very unlikely I will be in Cherbourg in September.

    I'm happy to hand over the reins to anyone who wishes to take over (and is happy to proceed nothwithstanding Dom's concerns).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Solent, UK
    Posts
    4,591

    Default Re: Cherbourg Scuttlebutt 2019

    Brexit is currently on hold until all hallows eve. I'm Damned if I'm going to let it bugger up my sailing season. as long as I"m fit, I'll be crossing this year anyway. Of course, any "illegal" would have no chance of stowing easy on my 26'er.
    Grow old disgracefully, it's more fun

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Me - Zumerzet Boat - Wareham
    Posts
    11,953

    Default Re: Cherbourg Scuttlebutt 2019

    Dom, I think you are going well OTT. It won't put me off my moules frites!
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,545

    Default Re: Cherbourg Scuttlebutt 2019

    I'm in AUS this September, so it'll be a struggle for me to make it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,308

    Default Re: Cherbourg Scuttlebutt 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    Dom, I think you are going well OTT. It won't put me off my moules frites!
    I get that, I bought my boat in France and couldn't be a happier customer. In fact I was thinking of visiting St Vaast this w/e, but don't think I'd make it before 0530 tomorrow. Looking forward, I'm sure everything will work out just fine; Normandy is especially exposed to a hard-Brexit and is bending over backwards to be welcoming and hey, we all love the place and they love us

    Organising an event unfortunately carries some risk, which in normal circumstances is tiny. Remember the Douane officer on his rib wryly asking if I'd checked the passports of the 23 peeps aboard drinking beer? And when asked if he could join in, I said no prob if the boat didn't sink!

    Brexit may have just happened by this year's event, or it may not. Either way, there's a 99% chance all will go well, but that 1% could potentially cause much bigger problems in a policy vacuum created by our pathologically hopeless leaders on both sides of the Channel.

    This is a risk I don't want to take right now, but I take your point, and certainly wouldn't want to exaggerate it if someone else takes a different view.
    Last edited by dom; 12-04-19 at 10:21.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    location location ...
    Posts
    986

    Default Re: Cherbourg Scuttlebutt 2019

    Tentatively, I'll put my name forward.

    I usually leave the boat in the Baltic for each winter, but I am now considering bringing back to Gosport - just for the winter. I hope, if all this Brexit nonsense is resolved, to set off back to the Baltic in 2020.

    Meanwhile – I am running a Cruising Association rally in Germany at the end of June, and then intend to head to the West. I can easily be in Cherbourg by the dates you suggest. There is not a great deal of organising that needs to be done. It would be nice if the marina could set aside a number of berths for the boats involved, so that we are all together. The only other thing that needs to be organised is a dinner somewhere, which could well be in the yacht club house.

    To do all of this, there is only one thing I need to know – the number of boats and the number of people.

    If everyone is happy with this, I could do it, but the obligation lies with you: I can't do anything unless I know the number of people and the number of boats, and I can provide contact details, and the rest is up to you.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.
    Posts
    7,762

    Default Re: Cherbourg Scuttlebutt 2019

    The Alderney Sailing Club is reviving its Regatta this year. Several South Coast sailing clubs have been invited.

    For those able to spend longer aboard, taking in the Regatta, 23-25 August, staying or pootling around for a bit before going to Cherbourg might be an option.

    Something I shall work on anyway.

    First Mate and I will be definite maybe's at this early stage.................................

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to