Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default SofF port planning - Theoule s/Mer

Just mulling over some ideas for different port visits in the coming season and Theoule s/mer has always caught my eye. Anyone been or have an opinion.

Looking for a different night stop on the slow cruise to St Tropez.

Fingers crossed for a calm and pleasant Easter as I have been looking over old photos on The Lerins and can't wait to be back.

Default Re: SofF port planning - Theoule s/Mer

I don’t think you will get in .Its tiny and no real visitor berths .
    The bay is nice to anchor though .
    Plenty of shoreside restaurants, some pied in the sand .
    La Rague and la Napoule are 2 mins away planing speed .La Napoule being the pick of marinas in that corner , but they host a used boat show with 200 or so boats for sale over Easter so that will be busy / rammed as well .

Thanks L, I thought you might know.

Shane the little port in the corner, to left of beach at theoule sm as you look from the sea, is very nice. I used to park my sq58 stand side to on the left hand wall/breakwater as you enter the marina, after 8pm. And I always departed to anchor 8am. Nice overnight spot. The anchorage off the nice beach is deep so you need plenty of chain, unless you’re lucky enough to get one of the very few shallow spots. There’s a nice restaurant on the marina breakwater. The cliffs behind are so high that the anchorage loses all sun too early in the afternoon- that’s its main drawback.

Thanks John, I will bank that bit of information.

So after zooming in on Google Maps, I can see the spot you are talking about John, however also using street view (Google has mapped the ports of the Côte d’Azur by boat) I can see 12 boats on berths so I might get lucky and get a berth.

We have anchored several times off Theoule over the years including overnight stops and taking the tender to shore for dinner. Yes you need plenty of chain but I think its a lovely spot. The only downside is wake from other vessels going in/out of La Rague/La Napoule but that quietens down at night

FWIW, Theoule was the scene of tcm's infamous shark caper in 2003 which has got to be one of my most hilarious afternoons in the Med. He had made himself a wooden shark's fin with some straps and then attached the thing to his back before sliding into the water surreptitiously and swimming off around the anchorage. I have to say it looked pretty damned realistic and it certainly had the desired effect on many swimmers in the water and bathers on the beach before he was eventually sussed. People on nearby boats were not amused but we certainly were

Mike, I think we are sold. The beach restaurants look good and we have 60m of chain so hopefully it will work out.