Default 1955 Custom Speed Boat

I have a 1955 custom built speed boat that my Great Uncle started building in 1953 in San Diego CA. He worked for Convair aviation at the time and from what I understand 12 of them got together and built a jig and had 12 fiberglass hulls made. Out of the 12 my Uncle was the only one to put a inboard motor in his boat. Right now it is a 1957 271 Oldsmobile V8. The boat has a Redwood deck and is in good condition. When he built his boat he used a lot of spare parts from Convair. The wiring in boat is mostly aircraft wiring, the throttle linkage is from a airplane, and the vent tubing for gas tank is pitot static line. The V drive is out of a M4 Sherman tank from WW2. I have all the original paperwork for the title from 1955. I'm trying to asses a value for it but have no idea where to start. Has anyone heard of these boats before?

Default Re: 1955 Custom Speed Boat

I can't help ... but pictures might.

The first "big boat" that PeteCooper and I sailed on was built with many parts provided by Blackburn Aircraft Ltd - she was a lifeboat conversion done by an engineer from that company! However, I don't think that the association with an aircraft company added or detracted from her value.

Basically, your boat will be worth whatever a similar boat of the same era is worth; the back-story might help sell her, but it probably won't make much difference to the value.

Sorry I can't help with value but I'm restoring a 1956 Broom speed boat and found the Classic Motorboat Association a useful source of information.
    They will certainly be interested and someone on there forum might have some good info.

http://www.cmba-uk.com

Quote Originally Posted by PeteCooper View Post
    I can't help ... but pictures might.
    I think this is it: https://www.pinterest.com/cdredwngs2000/sun-fun/

Hi,
    Thank you for your input. I've never used Pintrest before so it took me a bit to get the pictures posted.