Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sharpness Lock

Default Re: Sharpness Lock

Were based on the upper severn and make several passages through the lock a year, ive never heard of that. The problem with the c&rt now is they're all seasonals that have no clue! As if you need a pilot to enter a harbour in a pleasure craft, maybe if a novice but not compulsory.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    PCC used to organise a trip over Easter which welcomed other boats. The cost was reduced and, more importantly, there's safety in numbers. Have a look at their website. Allan
    Indeed, my Navigator organised the last Easter one.

You need to arrange it all with Canal Trust, and Lock master, but all the info was on navigation above the old Severn Bridge without running aground on Saniger or Lydney sands etc (don't swerve to mid river by Black Rock) and the complex of locking and bridge swinging to get through into the canal.

You don't need a pilot for a small craft, you do need to arrive at lock gates close and before high water. If not within an hour of high water then not much depth on approach and tide pulls you out of line as it runs through outer lock baffles. As tide dominates passage for most boats then merely getting to old bridge at right time solves most issues.

If Graham PMs me with private message giving email address I can forward PCC instructions once I return from Easter as seem to have 2014s left in my folder and cant seem to attach to Forum
    Last edited by oldmanofthehills; 18-04-19 at 10:15.
    A boat is for going places

I still have little confidence in my engine although the prop seems to go round with the shaft now (after 6 dives!)

I've bought another month on the canal as a "visitor" but there is the new problem of where to go after locking out. My intended destination was Lydney Harbour where I have a promised mooring but silt rules!
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

Ah a different problem from what I thought, but getting into Lydney needs a good engine or much planning. Best to lockout as close to HW as you can, head into slack just upstream of Lydney Pier to collect yourself and hopefully converse with LYC members on shore then zip round pier to get through lock, of which only half the gate was open last I heard. I don't know your keel and draft but boats can dry out on posts and "staging"just outside Lydney. At very top of tide you can be warped round but there is only a 20 minute window. A person on board with local knowledge might indeed be useful. Certainly you need to discuss with current LYC members. I had dreadful time long ago locking out late due to freighter getting stuck in Sharpness and picking up my old Lydney drying moorings pushed by 5kt tide.

If Lydney not available have you considered St Pierre Pill(CDYC) or the River Avon (PCC) ?
    A boat is for going places

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanofthehills View Post
    Ah a different problem from what I thought, but getting into Lydney needs a good engine or much planning. Best to lockout as close to HW as you can, head into slack just upstream of Lydney Pier to collect yourself and hopefully converse with LYC members on shore then zip round pier to get through lock, of which only half the gate was open last I heard. I don't know your keel and draft but boats can dry out on posts and "staging"just outside Lydney. At very top of tide you can be warped round but there is only a 20 minute window. A person on board with local knowledge might indeed be useful. Certainly you need to discuss with current LYC members. I had dreadful time long ago locking out late due to freighter getting stuck in Sharpness and picking up my old Lydney drying moorings pushed by 5kt tide.

If Lydney not available have you considered St Pierre Pill(CDYC) or the River Avon (PCC) ?
    Couple of negatives!

I have fallen out with LDYC, at least with one (important) member so we won't be joining. I am good friends with Dave Penfold though.

We used to be members of CDYC but the new boat is too big for them to accept.

We might end up in Cardiff or Newport until Lydney Harbour releases itself from the silt. That in the outer basin has to be seen to be believed but the current problem is that the flood gates won't open. Nobody in and nobody out!
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

They have the monies for the silt and gates now so it should be sorted by 2020!

Quote Originally Posted by TOKOLOSHI View Post
    They have the monies for the silt and gates now so it should be sorted by 2020!
    says it all! Talk about bureaucracy!

They had a lot more and lost it as they didn't use it.
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12