Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Accumulator tank or not?

I thought I should start a new thread regarding my domestic water supply.

At present there is a - needs replacing - Flojet 4305 pump feeding a calorifier and galley and heads hot and cold taps. There is no inlet filter nor accumulator.

I am replacing the pump and obviously should fit a filter before the pump, however do I really need an accumulator? All the stuff I have read seems to suggest that it is necessary, but the system works fine as it is, or did before the pump went pear shaped.

It would make sense to fit one at the same time as the new pump and filter if it is useful/necessary. If forumites think it would be worth while, what size? Does it relate to the pump flow rate?

Thanks for any advice.

Default Re: Accumulator tank or not?

When I did ours the advice seemed to be that an accumulator was only needed if say, someone would run a tap in the night. Then the pump wouldn’t fire up and make a noise. We haven’t got one.
    Pardon?

An accumulator is certainly not essential; it may smooth out frequent cycling of the pump. I don't have one on my boat.

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    An accumulator is certainly not essential; it may smooth out frequent cycling of the pump. I don't have one on my boat.
    Originally my Sadler did not have one and I believe most others are the same. I installed one and think it is an improvement not to have the pump running every time the tap is opened.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Leighb View Post
    I thought I should start a new thread regarding my domestic water supply.

At present there is a - needs replacing - Flojet 4305 pump feeding a calorifier and galley and heads hot and cold taps. There is no inlet filter nor accumulator.

I am replacing the pump and obviously should fit a filter before the pump, however do I really need an accumulator? All the stuff I have read seems to suggest that it is necessary, but the system works fine as it is, or did before the pump went pear shaped.

It would make sense to fit one at the same time as the new pump and filter if it is useful/necessary. If forumites think it would be worth while, what size? Does it relate to the pump flow rate?

Thanks for any advice.
    An accumulator will smooth out the operation of the pump. Without one at low demand rates,the pump will tend cut in and out fairly rapidly in order to maintain the pressure between the cut in and cut out settings. With an accumulator the pressure cycling will be smoothed out so that the pump cuts in less frequently although it will run for longer when it does. The total running time will be the same , just in less frequent but longer bursts .

Some modern pumps have some sort of internal bypass that smooths out their operation without the need for an accumulator.
    If the frequent cutting in and cutting out bothers you but you dont want to fit an accumulator fit one of the pumps which do not need an accumulator

Good info on accumulator ( and expansion ) tanks plus guidance on sizing here: https://www.jabscoshop.com/files/Acc...4%20doc595.pdf

I have owned boats with and without. IMHO they are unnecessary on a boat with one or two people.
    Monkey patching programmer [retired ]

I don't have one as I have a jabsco pump which has a triple diaphragm and bypass and it says it doesn't need one. The pump comes on and stays on whilst I run the water which I am happy with. I have an expansion tank on the hot water though and that is needed if you don't want the pressure relief valve to deposit water.

Quote Originally Posted by neilf39 View Post
    I have an expansion tank on the hot water though and that is needed if you don't want the pressure relief valve to deposit water.
    Not necessarily, I think it perhaps depends on the amount of pipework in the system. My boat has no expansion tank on the hot water, and it doesn't dump water from the PRV.

The land plumbing code is pretty clear; hot water heater = expansion tank.

https://structuretech1.com/wp-conten...-installed.jpg

Even without hot water, it is simply better engineering. Less cycling on the piping (fewer leaks), less cycling on the pump. Cheaper in the long run.

The pump on my boat is really noisy and I switch off the power last thing before hitting the hay so I'm glad of the accumulator. I recently replaced the calorifer - the old system didn't have a separate accumulator so I was surprised my new Surecal calorifer needed one according to the instructions. Turns out the Surecal has a non-return valve on the inlet side whereas the old system didn't which allowed back pressure expansion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast