UK and NW Caribbean, Belize Mexico & Guatemala

Default Perkins 4236M CAV Starter Motor problem

I am based in Guatemala, Central America at the moment, and I am having problems with my CAV starter motor, the front bushing is seized and I cannot get a replacement or a new bushing made here.

The only way I can get the old starter motor out of the country is by courier (FedEx, DHL etc) which is going to cost around 300 one way so sending the motor back to the UK for an exchange unit is not feasible as the shipping would cost at least twice what the exchange motor costs and SMBO has said it is too heavy to put in her hold luggage when she flys home soon

I have looked for a motor in the USA and have been quoted US$1,500 for a new CAV motor or US$700 for an new AC Delco motor with an adaptor plate.

If I can source a replacement motor at a reasonable price, I can send the part by sea to Guatemala which would much more reasonably priced

Does anyone know what model of the AC/Delco (or any other make) fits the 4236M and any other ideas would be gratefully accepted

More info if it helps

My engine is a Perkins 4236M, The engine number LD 14420 U 868123 J. The Starter Motor is a CAV CA45/S115 12-3. and it is 12V Isolated Ground. The motor is fitted to the left hand side of the engine. Picture o the starter motor below
    Attached Images Attached Images

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Default Re: Perkins 4236M CAV Starter Motor problem

Quote Originally Posted by john_q View Post
    I am based in Guatemala, Central America at the moment, and I am having problems with my CAV starter motor, the front bushing is seized and I cannot get a replacement or a new bushing made here.

The only way I can get the old starter motor out of the country is by courier (FedEx, DHL etc) which is going to cost around 300 one way so sending the motor back to the UK for an exchange unit is not feasible as the shipping would cost at least twice what the exchange motor costs and SMBO has said it is too heavy to put in her hold luggage when she flys home soon

I have looked for a motor in the USA and have been quoted US$1,500 for a new CAV motor or US$700 for an new AC Delco motor with an adaptor plate.

If I can source a replacement motor at a reasonable price, I can send the part by sea to Guatemala which would much more reasonably priced

Does anyone know what model of the AC/Delco (or any other make) fits the 4236M and any other ideas would be gratefully accepted

More info if it helps

My engine is a Perkins 4236M, The engine number LD 14420 U 868123 J. The Starter Motor is a CAV CA45/S115 12-3. and it is 12V Isolated Ground. The motor is fitted to the left hand side of the engine. Picture o the starter motor below

In a previous life I was 2 I/C the largest Lucas Service depot in the UK. CAV is/was a Lucas brand.

I have just googled "CAV starter motor spare parts" and DFJ Auto comes up as a likely supplier. Google them for contact details. They ship world wide.

Good luck.

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa

More info if it helps

If you can remove the starter motor and dismantle the motor to remove the seized front bushing

It would be a lot cheaper and easier to get one made in the UK either by sending the dimensions or SWMBO could take just the front bushing and bring the new on back.

It may also be possible to obtain a new bust from one of the agents in the UK who deal with vintage tractors.
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

Could SWIMBO not just carry the siezed bit ?
    If you can locate that bit as a spare or get that bit fixed in UK then could it be hand carried back?
    What vehicle was that engine fitted to? that could be a source. Even a non isolated version would work? or be a SOURCE FOR SPARES?
    I guess that the time element may be a decider though.

edit... looks like my post has crossed a similar one!

Bit surprised that a place like Guatemala does not have good backyard repair shops.
    Back in Iberia, well before the EU, there were many, with very good skills. I had a CAV starter rebuilt for a fraction of the (staggering) new price out there.
    Have you tried parts4engines ? They shipped some Perkins bits here with no fuss and some speed.

Thanks for the input, All good ideas, I now have some more homework to do.

I have another motor which is working 95% of the time so I have to time to investigate options

Downwind, - Yes Guatemala does have the repair shops and can do things like rewind electrical motors but the two I have approached so far did not have good enough tooling to make a new bushing as they are very thin. I am still looking in Guatemala City as there maybe more options there.

I like the idea of only bringing the bushing back and trying to source that in the UK

And I will try DFJ Auto and parts4engines as

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

IMHO, probably a better bet to have a complete end cap with the bush already installed.

Or, if it had not accured to you, use the end cap complete with bush from your spare?

Thanks for every ones comments, just an update to close the thread off.

I went to Guatemala City (7 1/2 hour bus journey from Rio Dulce but was going there anyway) and found an AC Delco dealer in a a dodgy part of town, iron grills across the counter, where the boss spoke very good English, he said that for them to repair the CAV would be more expensive than buying a new starter so they took an brand new Ac Delco 28MT 6558N motor and converted it to Isolated Ground for me at a total cost for 150. Now back to the boat to fit it and test it, I may have to change the position of the nose cone to get it to fit

I have another motor which is working 95% of the time so I have to time to investigate options

You seem to have resolved the issue...…...congratulations !
    But would the one that works 95% of the time not provided the spares required? Or could it not have been serviced to work 100%?

And I will try DFJ Auto and parts4engines as