Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dinghy outboard

Default Dinghy outboard

I urgently need a SMALL LIGHT CHEAP RELIABLE outboard for my Avon rubber dinghy ( flexible floor) I want a new one , not second hand.
    I need it yesterday
    I know little about them as I have used my Seagull for the past 50 years. But this one is to be a joint ownership & i need a lighter one & I am not giving up my Seagull to anyone.( no jokes please i do not have the time)
    Can the forum recommend one & if possible a supplier please?
    Sorry if I have started the equivalent of an anchor thread.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Default Re: Dinghy outboard

If itís in shared ownership go for the Honda

What's wrong with the Seagull?

Go for a Mariner 2hp; I've had one since 1987 and it has survived several inversions, like when I was stormbound in Salcombe for a week, had no sleep on the mooring to take precautions and the dinghy flipped - after emptying the combustion chamber it started happily, a brilliant engine, I still use it now, I just wish it had a British makers' plate !
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Mariner as, Seajet suggests, or Mercury is the same engine. ( I expect Seajet has a 2 stroke though ........ he finds 4 strokes so heavy that he cannot lift them off the floor)

Both ITYWF are rebadged Tohatsus ( all in fact are 2.5 hp)

I've had good experience with a small Yamaha but that was a 2 stroke.

If thinking about the Honda be sure you and co-owner are both happy with the automatic clutch. Some people can't get the hang of them!

Teeny tiny jets in the carbs on small 4 strokes seem to be a bit of a problem . It''l need more love, and clean fuel, than a Seagull, which thrives on neglect
    Last edited by VicS; 13-04-19 at 09:18.

Don’t buy a Suzuki.
    He said, "All men will be sailors then until the sea shall free them."

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.

Quote Originally Posted by Tam Lin View Post
    Don’t buy a Suzuki.
    +1. The Admiral simply couldn’t get it to work, so it went.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    Go for a Mariner 2hp; I've had one since 1987 and it has survived several inversions, like when I was stormbound in Salcombe for a week, had no sleep on the mooring to take precautions and the dinghy flipped - after emptying the combustion chamber it started happily, a brilliant engine, I still use it now, I just wish it had a British makers' plate !
    An engine you've had 32 years will have how much in common with one bought new today?

The older Mariners were re-badged Yamahas. Made in Japan. 1987 might make it a bit modern for that though?

Personally I've always found Yamaha to be the best, but my current ones are over 20 years old and 2 stroke, so probably not great guide to today's offerings.

I bought a Mariner/Mercury 3.3 brand new in the late 90s, it was the worst motorised item I've ever bought.

Unfortunately "light and cheap" don't apply to new 4 strokes. My choice would be Tohatsu, Mercury, Marina or Yamaha, all very similar and good feedback. Buy from local dealer so warranty problems can be sorted rather than internet deals where they may be cheaper but poor after sales service.

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    An engine you've had 32 years will have how much in common with one bought new today?

The older Mariners were re-badged Yamahas. Made in Japan. 1987 might make it a bit modern for that though?

Personally I've always found Yamaha to be the best, but my current ones are over 20 years old and 2 stroke, so probably not great guide to today's offerings.

I bought a Mariner/Mercury 3.3 brand new in the late 90s, it was the worst motorised item I've ever bought.
    Any where between 1974 and 1990 could have been Japanese made

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast