Default Roll and Tip Advice Please

I'm up to speed with the method, but what are the best type of brushes and roller heads for rolling and tipping topsides?

Thanks in advance.
    "I thought my daffodils were yellow until I met Joe Kennedy."

Default Re: Roll and Tip Advice Please

What's best for you will not necessarily be what someone else finds best.
    Also it depends on the paint. Viscosity, temperature etc.
    Personally, I found foam roller heads and foam 'Jenny' brushes worked best for me, although the film thickness was on the thin side.
    I expect thicker paint might need different weapons?

Get a plywood door to practise on?
    Have several of your chosen brush, so you can swap when things get sticky instead of stopping part way through.

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    What's best for you will not necessarily be what someone else finds best.
    Also it depends on the paint. Viscosity, temperature etc.
    Personally, I found foam roller heads and foam 'Jenny' brushes worked best for me, although the film thickness was on the thin side.
    I expect thicker paint might need different weapons?

Get a plywood door to practise on?
    Have several of your chosen brush, so you can swap when things get sticky instead of stopping part way through.
    Agreed . foam Roller for me and used a top quality brush and tipped it of very gently , seemed to work rather well , preparation and time are your friend , and wind and rain and cold your enemy
    Flying birds have no master

We used a paint pad for tipping when using Toplac. Worked very well. Bit cold at present isn't it?
    Not all who wander are lost

We rolled and tipped my 19 footer using cheap 4" foam roller and expensive tapered nylon bristle from B and Q. We soon found that the finish was worse after tipping and had the dilemma whether to abort or continue with roller only. We chose to continue and the finish was acceptable if not perfect. From 10' it looked good but closer a bit orange peelish. My advice would be to practice on a piece of glass first to get the amount of thinner right and also the 'touch' for the tipper.

Foam roller and Harris brush. Works a treat with nautiforte.

For the "Perefction" paint and also successful with single pack paints:

We use a "tight" roller, tested to be tolerant to solvents and by tight I mean compact and pretty firm. For the tipping, regular kitchen scrubbers, pull the green abrasive bit off, cut them in half and tip using the foam bit. Very firm tipping out so we get a squeak and this produces a very thin coat. Building up the coats this way seems to get us excellent results.

Thanks all for your input. I'm using single-pack Hempel Brilliant Gloss which will be slightly thinned (with the correct Hempel product) for both coats. Definitely not doing it yet, but the warm weather's approaching and I want to be ready. I think I'm going to opt for a foam roller and tip-off with an old but good quality tapered brush. Not sure how a good finish could be attained with a jenny brush, but then I've never tried one.
    Last edited by Major_Clanger; 14-04-19 at 16:51.
    "I thought my daffodils were yellow until I met Joe Kennedy."