Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Life raft. Where to put it?

So Iím sitting here somewhere very nice contemplating my new life raft in a container. This morning I lugged it to the boat and itís heavy I mean as in a ridiculous 45 kilo heavy. Iím already dreading the day in three years time when I have to take it for its first service. Itís so heavy that I canít just say to my wife, Ďdo you mind chucking the raft over the side dear, while Iím busy trying to stop us sinkingí.
    So, the options for placement are first on the flybridge. But that will take a hell of an effort to throw it over the side. Iíve met some of you lot, Iím not like you, Iím just a little guy.
    The next an most logical place is on the transom but my swim platform is only a meter deep so it will really just get in the way of life on the swim platform.
    The best place is behind the ladder to the flybridge. The place is exactly the right size. But then I will still have to drag it out, lift it up and over.
    So where do you all keep it and what is the wisdom for your choice?
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

Default Re: Life raft. Where to put it?

I recon when you need a liferaft deploying you'll be able to lift it easily, the brown gooey stuff called adrenalin will see to that, it may hurt for a few days afterwards but you won't be worrying about that.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbird30ds View Post
    I recon when you need a liferaft deploying you'll be able to lift it easily, the brown gooey stuff called adrenalin will see to that, it may hurt for a few days afterwards but you won't be worrying about that.
    It’s going to hurt for more than a few days after dragging it to my boat this morning. But I understand the effects of adrenaline, don’t they say that the fastest bilge pump in the world is a man with a bucket on a sinking boat

Anywhere it can be mounted in a cradle on the outside of the boat?

I have a stainless steel cradle mounted on the back of the fly bridge so overhanging the cockpit.

Depends why you need it i guess, sinking, no need to chuck it over the side, you step UP into a life raft.
    Flames licking your Rs, you’ll figure it out

Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    I have a stainless steel cradle mounted on the back of the fly bridge so overhanging the cockpit.
    Have you worked out how far you will need to throw it and have you practiced it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    Have you worked out how far you will need to throw it and have you practiced it?
    Why do you need to throw it? If it is sinking, as Simon said, you just inflate and get in as you will have water around your ankles. Because it's in a canister you'll have a hydrostatic release that will trigger when submerged if you have to jump off because of fire and it will inflate itself. Fitting them as per jrudge's post #5 is quite the norm for canisters. You don't need to lug canisters about like a valise.

You mention it's 45kg, Is it an eight man? Do you need one that big?

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    You mention it's 45kg, Is it an eight man? Do you need one that big?
    No. It’s only a four man and it doesn’t have the +24h pack, which includes water for all the occupants. The only special thing is self righting which may add a couple of kilos.
    Some people with big boats might have eight man rafts with water rations! I appreciate that a sinking boat might not need the canister to be thrown but just lugging it to get serviced could make your eyes water

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast