Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Life raft. Where to put it?

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    Why do you need to throw it? If it is sinking, as Simon said, you just inflate and get in as you will have water around your ankles. Because it's in a canister you'll have a hydrostatic release that will trigger when submerged if you have to jump off because of fire and it will inflate itself. Fitting them as per jrudge's post #5 is quite the norm for canisters. You don't need to lug canisters about like a valise.
    It'll only have a hydrostatic release if he fits one...

Also if it's tucked away behind a ladder I worry about it being clear to float free. There been a couple of fishing boats that have gone down with rafts trapped in the gear.

W.

Quote Originally Posted by PilotWolf View Post
    It'll only have a hydrostatic release if he fits one...

Also if it's tucked away behind a ladder I worry about it being clear to float free. There been a couple of fishing boats that have gone down with rafts trapped in the gear.

W.
    It’s only behind the ladder for the duration of this thread
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

I'm intrigued to know what long open-sea passages you are planning that justify the expense and inconvenience of carrying a life-raft.

The reason I ask is that the frequency of your posts and the immediacy of your replies suggests that you are never out of range of the internet or mobile phone coverage.
    Last edited by Poignard; 13-04-19 at 17:26.
    " Brexit is like watching your library being burned down by people who can't read"

Quote Originally Posted by Poignard View Post
    I'm intrigued to know what long open-sea passages you are planning that justify the expense and inconvenience of carrying a life-raft.

The reason I ask is that the frequency of your posts and the immediacy of your replies suggests that you are never out of range of the internet or mobile phone coverage.
    All fair observations. Right now Iím in a restaurant in Porquerolles awaiting a delicious first course and drinking beer. To go more than six miles from a place of safety requires a Liferaft, itís French law. Even a route hugging the coast can get you out to sea if you take a shortcut

Are you sure there’s not designer space for the life raft ?
    We inherited a 10 pax which has similar issues re woman deploying wise .
    A designer space is however a double edge sword as any prospective replacement needs to fit dimensions wise .

Also adding to the offshore anxiety suppression have you thought about a ERIB ? We have two .

I have the ERIB s serviced because the Fr are fussy like in date flares and more importantly have the paperwork to spill on the cockpit table for officialdom.

How ever with the LR I’ve let it lapse date wise .
    I heard they only inflate and replace the grub + water ,and even @ service they don’t actually pull the gas cylinder.Nope they disconnect it and just blow it up with air before repacking it with in date food and water .They replace the food / water only .Gas is not touched .So that trigger is never tested , so what’s the point other than a rubber stamp .??

So based on that with two ERIBs and a tender on the bathing platform and extra food + water in the cockpit fridge to grab
    I,am not fussed .
    Service of a 10 P is similar to the cost of a new say 4/6 P , so it’s a no brainier to service it .
    Officialdom ( been done 3x times in 14 years ) has never asked about LR at all , I guess because they patrol within 6 miles anyhow ? AND they crucially can’t see it to ask jumbled deliberate language works in your favour.

“ no we never go offshore officer “

Any how a few pic s 9101034D-1B9B-4818-94A8-E72F5B367E49.jpg
    ERIB In date .You really need one of theses so a helicopter will come for you think Costa Concordia

F96FB9BD-4100-4071-96EE-17DC3C08023D.jpg

3A963C19-D8FA-4504-AA53-F792E9DF93A7.jpg
    Dog sleeps on it .Its place is just behind dogs back legs ,

E134F04E-2C4D-48EB-A8F6-854263F9425E.jpg
    Behind that seat base .

E45E4708-4820-4EAD-A3BF-5FBF8B7AD514.jpg
    Doubles up as one of the engine access hatches .

So good design me thinks .You See LR spaces on many boats .

So do you want visible ( and committed to buying new food + water every 3 years ) or hidden in Fr ?
    Last edited by Portofino; 13-04-19 at 19:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    ERIB In date .You really need one of theses so a helicopter will come for you think Costa Concordia
    I can't think of one bit of kit which was more useless than the EPIRB onboard the CC, that sad night.
    A ship larger than their own village and sinking right in front of them could hardly go unnoticed among the locals at Giglio Porto, I reckon...

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    I can't think of one bit of kit which was more useless than the EPIRB onboard the CC, that sad night.
    A ship larger than their own village and sinking right in front of them could hardly go unnoticed among the locals at Giglio Porto, I reckon...
    I concur fully but I can think of a Captain that was more useless in that situation.

Missed the point - again !

Copter pilots from the mainland 1st on the scene homed in on the ERIB sig .This is because the verbal normal stuff coming from the island was overwhelmingly seemingly incredible .

They followed SOPs ...... standard operating procedure .

But we the royal we - us Leisure boaters only need one copter within approx an hr before I have opened my stale out of date food / water .So with an ERIB or two I,am not particularly interested in the quality of the snap as I don’t think I will be spending a great deal of time in the LR ,

got it guys !

Do you cruise with an in date ERIB ?

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    Do you cruise with an in date ERIB ?
    It's an EPRIB Porto.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast