Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Life raft. Where to put it?

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    Are you sure there’s not designer space for the life raft ?
    We inherited a 10 pax which has similar issues re woman deploying wise .
    A designer space is however a double edge sword as any prospective replacement needs to fit dimensions wise .

Also adding to the offshore anxiety suppression have you thought about a ERIB ? We have two .

I have the ERIB s serviced because the Fr are fussy like in date flares and more importantly have the paperwork to spill on the cockpit table for officialdom.

How ever with the LR I’ve let it lapse date wise .
    I heard they only inflate and replace the grub + water ,and even @ service they don’t actually pull the gas cylinder.Nope they disconnect it and just blow it up with air before repacking it with in date food and water .They replace the food / water only .Gas is not touched .So that trigger is never tested , so what’s the point other than a rubber stamp .??

So based on that with two ERIBs and a tender on the bathing platform and extra food + water in the cockpit fridge to grab
    I,am not fussed .
    Service of a 10 P is similar to the cost of a new say 4/6 P , so it’s a no brainier to service it .
    Officialdom ( been done 3x times in 14 years ) has never asked about LR at all , I guess because they patrol within 6 miles anyhow ? AND they crucially can’t see it to ask jumbled deliberate language works in your favour.

“ no we never go offshore officer “

Any how a few pic s Attachment 77186
    ERIB In date .You really need one of theses so a helicopter will come for you think Costa Concordia

Attachment 77187

Attachment 77188
    Dog sleeps on it .Its place is just behind dogs back legs ,

Attachment 77189
    Behind that seat base .

Attachment 77190
    Doubles up as one of the engine access hatches .

So good design me thinks .You See LR spaces on many boats .

So do you want visible ( and committed to buying new food + water every 3 years ) or hidden in Fr ?
    There’s a nice spot on the flybridge railings facing the stern, and behind the ladder but nothing like a locker etc. The lazaret is very deep with a heavy (gas struts assisted) lid, climbing down and lifting out a life raft in a valise would be difficult.
    An ERB is next on my list as is a fitted VHF, expect a thread
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    It's an EPRIB Porto.
    Where are you with life rafts and EPRIBs regarding your particular current boating ?
    Just to add to getting a barometer on this subject since you appear interested .

I’ve got a portable vhf DSC with its own GPS receiver. My thinking is I can hear what’s going on and communicate back. Better than sitting there wondering if anyone’s coming. Appreciate it doesn’t have the range of a EPIRB but at least people around me can come and help too (as I would for them)

Back on topic....how about on the transom when on passage.....behind the ladder when at the restaurant ( boat left within your line of sight of course ) or is it to heavy to move between the 2 positions for you?

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    I concur fully but I can think of a Captain that was more useless in that situation.
    While I was actually talking of bits of kit, I can't argue with that!

Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    There’s a nice spot on the flybridge railings facing the stern, and behind the ladder but nothing like a locker etc. The lazaret is very deep with a heavy (gas struts assisted) lid, climbing down and lifting out a life raft in a valise would be difficult.
    An ERB is next on my list as is a fitted VHF, expect a thread
    Jumping in the LR ( assuming it can be deployed ? ) without knowing your position accurately and relying on a mobile not to get wet sounds a bit below what’ I think “ she “ expects
    Anyhow if she “ buys ‘ it well done mate enjoy Corsica ———- if you get there

Seriously you need to look at the overall safety package .What I am saying a LR on its own is not necessarily the right thing it needs to be taken along with the rest of the serviceable kit imho .
    To save life 1 st
    2nd placate officialdom in your area .

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    Missed the point - again !

Copter pilots from the mainland 1st on the scene homed in on the ERIB sig .This is because the verbal normal stuff coming from the island was overwhelmingly seemingly incredible.

They followed SOPs ...... standard operating procedure.
    From which source did you get that? My understanding is that the bridge was in radio contact with the CG, so I struggle to believe that they deployed choppers (or rather SAR boats) faster just because of an EPIRB signal.
    BTW, afaik the SOP upon receipt of EPIRB signals is to call the respective contact person first, go figure...

Oh, and in reply to your question, nope, I don't have an EPIRB onboard - and believe it or not, not even a life raft.
    Well, I have one actually, inherited from the previous owner, but it's expired and I'm not going to keep it.
    Imho, the first is as useful as a chocolate teapot anywhere in the Med, and also the latter might be just a space waste, depending on your cruising habits...

Agree with the above, when we had restricted space and went more than 3 miles off shore - we would always put the raft in the cockpit, when just close to shore it stayed in the tender garage.

Bouba, I’d look at existing or bespoke stainless racks that put the raft away from usable space and deployable without lifting, iirc you have a Swift Trawler 34 - could you not put a rack on the rear of the FB either port or stbd?

I take the point about EPIRB’s but really agree a good DSC radio and understanding on Pan Pan and when to escalate is far more likely to be effective and more responsible. I’d put a sat phone way ahead of an EPIRB any day - also we’re talking parachutes here not pyrotechnics.

Fire is the biggest risk to life here, of course a boat can go down quickly with a breach but most likely you’ll want to get away from the boat in seconds if there’s an uncontainable fire, can’t think of a good reason not to have a life raft on a boat like the OPs.
    Last edited by Nigelpickin; 13-04-19 at 20:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigelpickin View Post
    Agree with the above, when we had restricted space and went more than 3 miles off shore - we would always put the raft in the cockpit, when just close to shore it stayed in the tender garage.

Bouba, I’d look at existing or bespoke stainless racks that put the raft away from usable space and deployable without lifting, iirc you have a Swift Trawler 34 - could you not put a rack on the rear of the FB either port or stbd?

I take the point about EPIRB’s but really agree a good DSC radio and understanding on Pan Pan and when to escalate is far more likely to be effective and more responsible. I’d put a sat phone way ahead of an EPIRB any day - also we’re talking parachutes here not pyrotechnics.

Fire is the biggest risk to life here, of course a boat can go down quickly with a breach but most likely you’ll want to get away from the boat in seconds if there’s an uncontainable fire, can’t think of a good reason not to have a life raft on a boat like the OPs.
    To be honest, the thought of going up to the flybridge during an emergency, doesn’t fill me with confidence!
    I was thinking that if I place the life raft on the transom I will buy a rack. But if I put it somewhere else I will make one that has some kind of rotating or sliding feature to ease deployment. Also I’d make it lockable, has anyone heard of life rafts being stolen?
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

45A65EFE-7396-4A23-B5CA-61223229F0CF.jpeg

How about starboard side on the outside of the flybridge rails. If you line it up with the flybridge support strut thing, it can only go in the water with a good shove out of the bracket.

It will also be on the same side as your gunwales door so you should be able to get in quick.

It will be the right way up so that’s handy

Quote Originally Posted by Nigelpickin View Post
    canít think of a good reason not to have a life raft on a boat like the OPs.
    Just to put what I said previously in perspective, I fully agree that uncontainable fire is the typical event which could even force to jump out of a mobo PDQ, in the worst case scenario.
    When I said that I'm not going to keep/maintain my life raft, that's strictly because my cruising habits in the foreseeable future are in coastal places, where jumping in the water is a pleasure rather than a hassle...
    And life vests are always at hand anyway, of course.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast