Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Life raft. Where to put it?

Quote Originally Posted by FARSCO View Post
    Attachment 77192

How about starboard side on the outside of the flybridge rails. If you line it up with the flybridge support strut thing, it can only go in the water with a good shove out of the bracket.

It will also be on the same side as your gunwales door so you should be able to get in quick.

It will be the right way up so that’s handy

The wife’s board lives just there, and without it I would have to give up boating
    But if you look at your photo, there is a length of railing on the flybridge facing the stern on the starboard side. That would fit it perfectly, it’s just I’m not happy having to go upstairs in an emergency.
    It might seem strange, but as I have to have a raft and it cost me nearly €1200, it had better be able to save our lifes
    And, to be honest, the weight of it really got me thinking about just how useful it is in reality. I mean how many people really know if they could deploy it in an emergency, or if they are busy or incapacitated, could their spouse?
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post

The wife’s board lives just there, and without it I would have to give up boating
    But if you look at your photo, there is a length of railing on the flybridge facing the stern on the starboard side. That would fit it perfectly, it’s just I’m not happy having to go upstairs in an emergency.
    It might seem strange, but as I have to have a raft and it cost me nearly €1200, it had better be able to save our lifes
    And, to be honest, the weight of it really got me thinking about just how useful it is in reality. I mean how many people really know if they could deploy it in an emergency, or if they are busy or incapacitated, could their spouse?
    I think a bracket on the stern might be your only option.

You don’t have to thrown it. If youre getting in the raft....a few gel scratches don’t matter so a hard yank out the bracket and it’s in the drink. Pull on the trigger line if it’s not gone off and in. Handy cleat at the stern too to put the trigger line on before you toss it in. Nothing worse than seeing a plastic uninflated case floating away!

You could always trade the ST for a catamaran.....

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    From which source did you get that? My understanding is that the bridge was in radio contact with the CG, so I struggle to believe that they deployed choppers (or rather SAR boats) faster just because of an EPIRB signal.
    BTW, afaik the SOP upon receipt of EPIRB signals is to call the respective contact person first, go figure...

Saw a tv doc with footage from the very first copter on the scene .
    Sure islanders were on there mobs , local CG alerted but in the mele it’s easy to Chinese msg the exact location .
    It followed the EPRIB sig which had been deployed and checked for authentication.
    The base was Cossetto not far away on the mainland .
    Initially due to the magnitude and confusion they thought ( the std crew in a Augusta SAR ) that I’d was a shore transfer boat that had capsized not the mother ship .
    The voice recordings of the crew when they saw it - the mods won,t like the language Hardly surprising since they had never seen anything like it .

The EPRIB is the backstop last resort .Ive got two btw each registered with different people to pick up the phone .
    Sure if a slow leak or what ever with the VHF you can pan pan then escalate to May Day but you need to be confident of your position and yes we have DSC too and lat / long constantly displaying on the plotter .
    But at night disoriented, lost power , swamping or explosion/ fire , our grab bag has one EPRIB and the other is a self deploy if sinks thingy .
    Obviously one can’t really practice in a military sense and hope the LF deploys ( we have a tender as well ) .
    Back toVHF the Fr don’t even respond to marina requests so listening to the VHF traffic in Fr waters it does not inspire confidence.
    I assume VHF traffic say in the Dover straits / Solent is taken a bit more seriously.

Sat phones well you need a signal and it needs to be charged etc and presume a number to call and the then it’s open to Chinese msg the location I guess .

Basically a LR and some reliable method of alerting SAR where you are I think is sensible if you boat a lot irrespective of how far away from “ safe havens “
    It doesn’t seem a great of £/€/$ in the general scheme of boat costs .

My 0.02.p s worth .

Edit the RPRIBs are water proof and float so you could jump in sans LR and wait .Meds warm in the season btw so hypothermia will not get you before the copter arrives .
    Last edited by Portofino; 13-04-19 at 21:20.

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Just to put what I said previously in perspective, I fully agree that uncontainable fire is the typical event which could even force to jump out of a mobo PDQ, in the worst case scenario.
    When I said that I'm not going to keep/maintain my life raft, that's strictly because my cruising habits in the foreseeable future are in coastal places, where jumping in the water is a pleasure rather than a hassle...
    And life vests are always at hand anyway, of course.

It’s not you or your wife that griefs gonna come from if there’s a tragedy.
    Think “ speed boat killer “ recent UK news event .
    Owners got a custodial sentence .

So what duty of care if that’s the correct language do I afford theses guests ?

Attachment 77193

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    It’s not you or your wife that griefs gonna come from if there’s a tragedy.
    Think “ speed boat killer “ recent UK news event .
    Owners got a custodial sentence .

Attachment 77193
    That’s a tenuous link at best. The conviction was based on alcohol consumption, unsupervised driving, driving in the dark and breaking the speed limit.

Duty of care is a good point, we treat all new guests as if they were charter clients. Full walk through of safety equipment and general safety precautions, (we also email a ‘safety on board’ memo to guests before they arrive). That’s not to avoid prosecution - just to ensure we are being as safe as possible - without sucking all the fun out of it I hope....

Is there space for a cradle on the foredeck?

If you lock when your away from the boat make sure you have some foolproof way of remembering to unlock it before leaving the dock.

W.

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    Do you mean that @rse covering is your reason for carrying two EPIRB?
    We must be used to rather different guests, I reckon.
    Mine are more likely to sue myself if I would run out of prosecco while they are onboard...

In any case, duty of care is a legal concept, and as such bound to be related to law infringement rather than opinions.
    Up to 6Nm (from any coastline btw, no matter how safe the landing), a life raft is not required by IT regulation.
    Not to mention EPIRB, which is only required when cruising at more than 50Nm offshore.
    Which means not even when crossing from SoF to Corsica, just to give an idea - the only typical Med passages longer than 100Nm being Baldricks/Sardinia and Sardinia/Sicily.
    And within 300m, not even life vests are required.

Now, guess how far I normally must go from my home berth, before finding a great anchorage?
    Last edited by MapisM; 14-04-19 at 10:05.

...To go more than six miles from a place of safety requires a Liferaft, it’s French law. ...
    I have kept my boat in France for 5 years and I didn't know that. I still don't know it because you haven't told me. Right?
    " Brexit is like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

Someone mentioned tieing the tether before heaving it in. I'd have the thing permanently tethered (on a long line) as the last thing you want to remember in a panic is to tie it on.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast