Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Life raft. Where to put it?

Quote Originally Posted by Poignard View Post
    I have kept my boat in France for 5 years and I didn't know that. I still don't know it because you haven't told me. Right?
    My lips are sealed

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Up to 6Nm (from any coastline btw, no matter how safe the landing), a life raft is not required by IT regulation
    The French law says 6 Nm from an Ďabrií. Which just means shelter. I donít know if it has been tested in law and if it has a legal definition or itís just another open ended French concept
    So Iíve interpreted it to mean a place of safety. Somewhere you can perhaps anchor or get off. So not a port but not a steep cliff with a reef.

While I was writing nonsense my wife looked it up
    French law article 240-1-02
    Place on coast where any boat and crew can be safe by anchoring, landing or tying up and leave again without assistance.
    This notion takes account of the weather at the time as well as the characteristics of the boat

So there you have it
    Last edited by Bouba; 14-04-19 at 11:27.

I find this thread surreal...

we are all told that Bouba/wife/dog only do coastal else a divorce is looming or he'll be boating along or something along these lines.
    now Bouba wants to have the best point for quick and safe deployment of this heavy thing.May I ask, why bother?

just get it hooked on the f/b railings facing aft (as recommended) use a decent padlock to avoid theft and just remember where you put the lock key for the 3yr service.
    Job done.

In emergency, get your lifejackets on (if you want to look like a right prat on 26C water) and swim ashore...
    pretty sure the dog will outrun you to it.

Or get the wife with her paddleboard to tow you to shore if you're too shocked to swim

V.

PS. fwiw, I do try and remember to turn on the VHF when onboard, the only thing I ever hear is comms between the passengerliners and CG, NoTHiNG else. most fellow leasure boaters don't even bother turning the thing on, so in our waters EPIRB and even a PanPan will go unnoticed by most

Quote Originally Posted by vas View Post
    I find this thread surreal...

we are all told that Bouba/wife/dog only do coastal else a divorce is looming or he'll be boating along or something along these lines.
    now Bouba wants to have the best point for quick and safe deployment of this heavy thing.May I ask, why bother?

just get it hooked on the f/b railings facing aft (as recommended) use a decent padlock to avoid theft and just remember where you put the lock key for the 3yr service.
    Job done.

In emergency, get your lifejackets on (if you want to look like a right prat on 26C water) and swim ashore...
    pretty sure the dog will outrun you to it.

Or get the wife with her paddleboard to tow you to shore if you're too shocked to swim

V.

PS. fwiw, I do try and remember to turn on the VHF when onboard, the only thing I ever hear is comms between the passengerliners and CG, NoTHiNG else. most fellow leasure boaters don't even bother turning the thing on, so in our waters EPIRB and even a PanPan will go unnoticed by most
    My wife thinks you are very funny
    Iív had it in the back of my mind to get a life raft for a while now. Then a special offer from Uship popped up in my inbox. 10% off. Not that generous but better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.
    So here I was happy as Larry with my new life raft until I picked it up. So I just wondered what smarter men than me think about the situation

Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    So here I was happy as Larry with my new life raft until I picked it up. So I just wondered what smarter men than me think about the situation
    Take the liferaft out of its container and put something really useful in its place.
    'To lay the foundations of an ever closer union among the peoples of Europe' (EC Treaty)

Quote Originally Posted by Poignard View Post
    Take the liferaft out of its container and put something really useful in its place.
    How many people buy one and then the first thing they do is cut the straps off before they read the instructions?
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

I just wondered what smarter men than me think about the situation
    Far from pretending to be smarter than your good self (or anyone else for that matter), but I'd consider putting the thing on eBay.
    I can already see the title: "Brand new LR at 5% discount on street price".
    What's there not to like...?

So I just wondered what smarter men than me think about the situation
    There’s money to be made as an AirBnB host, You could inflate it and tow behind the boat, like a caravan. I can just see the Telegraph travel supplement picking up on the new Flamping trend.

The French law says 6 Nm from an Ďabrií.
    Yup, I half remember to have read that somewhere.
    My specification in post #38 was just meant to highlight a difference with IT regulation.

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Yup, I half remember to have read that somewhere.
    My specification in post #38 was just meant to highlight a difference with IT regulation.
    Yesterday I did a rugged 10 km hike and today I did the same when I came across an Ďabrií

As you can see the boats are sheltered by a castle in the water thus fulfilling French law.
    But 6 Nm from here you donít need a life raft because you will be at my house
    I think that tonight, my boat is in the nicest place of anyone on the forum (except Nigel Pickin)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast