Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Training Opportunities? Newb Level

Hi all,

As a complete newb, I am trying to get into sailing, not the racing kind and I can't seem to find any courses in my area (south wales, unfortunately Milford Haven is a bit far). I want to learn Yachting and the RYA assures me there are several clubs near me (Swansea, Cardiff and Chepstow) that do a 'Start Yachting' course...on yachts. Chepstow does there's out of Milford Haven (go figure). Swansea (Watersports) appears not actually do anything at all re start yachting or even start sailing (not able to book, does not respond to telephone calls or emails) and Cardiff only uses Dinghy's and doesn't actually do either of them.

Are you guys aware of any opportunities in the area that I could enquire with? I'm after the skills rather than the qualification and I'm available most evenings. I can do the odd day here or there (very flexible).

Default Re: Training Opportunities? Newb Level

Cardiffyacht.co.uk
    See the rainbow not the rain

Cheers! - Enquiry sent

Hopefully the website will be updated soon (according to the team, it's out of date). More hopefully, there will be some opportunity to train, otherwise I'm just going to have crash buy the boat and hope I don't sink (within the first day). ...could be fun.
    Last edited by Luminescent; 14-04-19 at 11:18. Reason: Providing brief update.

Quote Originally Posted by Luminesent View Post
    Cheers! - Enquiry sent

Hopefully the website will be updated soon (according to the team, it's out of date). More hopefully, there will be some opportunity to train, otherwise I'm just going to have crash buy the boat and hope I don't sink (within the first day). ...could be fun.
    You could try visiting one of the clubs. CYC is my old club and they have helped many people like yourself. The club is run by volunteers and is very friendly. On a Thursday evening, in the summer, they used to go for a sail before heading to the bar, loads of people have started there.
    CBYC are similar although they have a commercial aspect to they so are more expensive. Newport and Using is similar to CYC. There are a number of others, even the English side is available now the charges to leave England have stopped!
    Allan
    Allan
    Sailblogs.com search Brilliant with Hilary and Allan as crew. Password Bristol.

I have already sent them (We're talking about Cardiff Yacht Club right?) an inquiry but so far as I can tell they don't actually do the training on the size of the boat that I'm looking. (Standard yacht). Unfortunately, they haven't responded to my attempts to communicate with them and 'popping down' is not so easy, it's an hours drive out of my way. However if I do find an excuse to pop down to Cardiff I will certainly keep that in mind...even if that does mean trying to rearrange my excuse to a Thursday . There seems to be a distinct focus on dinghy's however. Once company that's registered with the RYA as doing 'yachts' only does dinghy courses for example.

The other one, which is Chepstow (hah, it's actually based on the otherside of the channel apparently) operates out of Milford Haven and if that is the alternative then that's the way it'll have to be.

Still, thank you for the responses, I've at least had one response now . (Cardiff Yacht Company rather than Cardiff Yacht Club)

No problem, I'm glad to help. CYC are not good at responding to emails. If you PM me your email address I'll pass it on to someone who will contact you. Note, I'll be sailing for two days from tomorrow afternoon and we're 5 hours behind you. While CYC stopped doing Day skipper classes you should find plenty of crewing opportunities. Wherever you go, don't discount the idea of racing, it's a good way to get a lot of experience quickly.
    Allan
    Sailblogs.com search Brilliant with Hilary and Allan as crew. Password Bristol.

I can recommend the Chepstow and District lot. They used to do courses out of Swansea but if its a 5 day course then driving to Milford not so bad. And Milford sound will give you sailing in a vast relatively protected area if weather poor.

Cardiff YC sadly seem to be having issues these days and gave crap communication or assistance to several folk from their own and other clubs. A recent deterioration and hopefully not permanent. Perhaps Allans inside knowledge will get through that logjamb for you.
    A boat is for going places

Chepstow does seem like a good club, but so far as I can tell, it generally offers shore based courses only (aside from Milford Haven) at the moment.

I will be taking a taster session with CYCompany in a couple of weeks or so (working out the final details) and we'll see where we go from there . Hopefully I don't have chronic sea sickness! Sure it's pricier than an RYA course, but I can't do residential (yet) so...

First you have to decide what sort of training you want. You can do the theory in a classroom and arguably thats the best place to learn things like navigation and meteorology. Newport, Cardiff ( both the senior club Cardiff Bay Yacht club and the junior Cadiff Yacht club) do shorebased courses.

If you want to learn to sail you could do worse than a dinghy course at CBYC because the skills to sail a dinghy well are if anything harder than to sail a big boat. But after that then it does become difficult because the practical courses require the use of a coded boat and that isnt viable for most if not all clubs. So for the practical side you need a sailing school .

Or some kind sailor who is willing to take you on his personal boat.
    this post is a personal opinion, and you should not base your actions on it.

Tony barebones from cbyc is looking for crew. It's on the lounge thread I think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast