Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Training Opportunities? Newb Level

Can't find it myself yet, I'll probably come across it at some point. Whether in the Lounge or the Seeking Crew area.

With regards to training, I'm sort of following the RYA's advice, which is to get some basic practical in first, then do a bit of theory, a bit of practice...so on.... but not RYA Courses. While their standards may be high and their value, not only low cost but also good value for what they are... unfortunately I can't commit to them as most places appear to have implemented the courses. ICC here I come.

At the moment, for me, based on basic research on the cost per hour of a lesson and what equipment they state is required, it would cost me far more to get in sailing a dinghy with a club, than sailing a yacht with someone's whose primary business appears to be about teaching. I appreciate that it may work out cheaper over a much longer period of time to go with a club, but that's a bit silly if I find out rather sharpish, that it's not for me.

Thanks for the input however, it has given me many potential destinations and waypoints on the horizon.

If you like, you can join me&Junior in Cardiff (CBYC). We sail most weekends, either the Bay or outside the barrage. We can show you the basics for free
    PM me if interested, and we will sort out the details.

Update:

Taster Session with Swansea Yacht Company (aka Cardiff Yacht Company) on the X Beat II.

Swansea Yacht Company do a great job of providing joining instructions for the course and even has a recommended reading list (one item, and yes, I think it's worth recommending having flicked through a copy myself) and making sure that everything is just so, so that you can arrive exactly where you need to be.

Sailing with Pete (the director) and Ian (co-director?) took me out across the Cardiff Bay on what turned out to be a pleasant day if turning surprisingly cold. (I'm a newb, I wasn't expecting it to get quite that chilly, so obviously I thought skipping the extra pair of trousers was okay...). I honestly wasn't expecting much from the Taster session. My objective was to see whether I was allergic to water, whether sailing worked for me and whether I thought I could learn how to do it.

These guys did more than just give me a taste, I felt like I was getting a full lesson. They set it out in stages, from helping out with the casting off, hoisting the main sail, winding a few winches. Heck they even allowed me to actually steer it and I was frankly astonished with how responsive a ship is to its rudder. They tried (repeatedly) to get me to call the commands (there were three, could I remember them after three seconds? No.) and put the ship through basic Tacks and Gybes (mostly leeward, but one or two windward) and a demonstration of the Man over board technique. (All credit to Ian demonstrating). Basically, you'll need some self confidence, to step up and lead, but this I expect comes with experience and being forcibly made Skipper once in a while.

They're very happy to get you out of the water as soon as possible (after you've been suited up with your life jacket) and they're happy to talk you through what they're doing, answer any questions (no matter how daft and seemingly obvious) and get you to take part. Even if you feel like you're merely getting in the way sometimes. Who knew mainsails were so hard to pack. What they won't do at least initially is bog you down with any paperwork, but this is available if you want it. They will also talk you through the different devices they use and why.

Now, if you've done some research prior about sailing, you might have a few confusing moments with different names and terminologies being used, mostly for your benefit.

Pro Tip: Sailing is probably gonna be cold, at a minimum you'll probably want a thermal layer, a jumper, pair of comfortable bottoms and decent shoes (George £10, tan-soled/white rimmed shoes). I'd recommend a second layer and probably a third in reserve. Extra pair of socks and a pair of gloves. Definitely a pair of gloves (no need for expensive things a couple of cheap value pairs from George will do). Handling ropes with cold hands...yeah okay. Otherwise follow the recommendations of the joining instructions and you won't go far wrong.

All in all, I recommend anyone getting into sailing to give these guys a shout.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12