Default Domestic water pump gone mad

Can anyone suggest what might be wrong. The water pump doesn’t switch off after the accumulator should be full and keeps running without stopping even if the taps are all off.

I am assuming that this doesn’t do the pump any good either. What could be wrong?

Default Re: Domestic water pump gone mad

Quote Originally Posted by Homer J View Post
    Can anyone suggest what might be wrong. The water pump doesn’t switch off after the accumulator should be full and keeps running without stopping even if the taps are all off.

I am assuming that this doesn’t do the pump any good either. What could be wrong?
    If it seems to pump Ok and develop a good discharge pressure a defective cutout pressure switch is the most likely.

If its not getting up to its normal pressure dirty or defective valves in the pump are a likely cause .

Dirt in the valves should not be problem though if you have an inlet strainer.

If the system does not maintain pressure in the accumulator when the pump is switched off then dirty/ defective pump valves

All assuming no major leaks, off course, filling the bilges
    Last edited by VicS; 14-04-19 at 08:49.

If the water runs out properly when the tap is opened that the pressure cut-off switch on the pump must have failed. Strip down the pump and see if it can be replaced separately.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    If it seems to pump Ok and develop a good discharge pressure a defective cutout pressure switch is the most likely.

If its not getting up to its normal pressure dirty or defective valves in the pump are a likely cause .

Dirt in the valves should not be problem though if you have an inlet strainer.

If the system does not maintain pressure in the accumulator when the pump is switched off then dirty/ defective pump valves

All assuming no major leaks, off course, filling the bilges
    Accumulator diaphragm ????

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry View Post
    The system would still reach max pressure eventually .... or spray out water .... and the pump would stop.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry View Post
    No, because eventually the accumulator would fill with water, all but a small air space, and the pump would then cut out

Mine does that sometimes if I have run dry and then refill. The pressure switch gets stuck. I give the pump a vigorous thumping with my fist and eventually it stops and is fine thereafter.
    Not all who wander are lost