Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Poole Harbour Slipways

Me and her indoors are thinking of taking our 4.5m rib to poole Harbour and staying in one of the holiday parks.

I see that there is a slip at MDL which is 50, Are there any public slips or other places to access the Harbour with this smallish boat. I would need a place to park after the launch

Also any places to stay with water access would be great

Thanks
    Only ever look down on a person when you are bending over to help them up.

Default Re: Poole Harbour Slipways

Quote Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
    Me and her indoors are thinking of taking our 4.5m rib to poole Harbour and staying in one of the holiday parks.

I see that there is a slip at MDL which is 50, Are there any public slips or other places to access the Harbour with this smallish boat. I would need a place to park after the launch

Also any places to stay with water access would be great

Thanks

my son used the public slip at baiter park, parking not free mind, IIRC he used Davis's boatyard slip also through bridge and next door to MDL at Cobbs Quay, chargeable of course but more secure For leaving trailer. Rockley park holiday place too methinks.
    Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

Not alot, frankly. You could try Rockley Park, but it gets very shallow there and it is a bit of a treck. Even further , there is a small boatyard on the south side of the river Frome.
    There is a very very shallow public slipway at Baiter Park, with a car park. Most will use waders or wet suited jet skiers, to give you the picture.
    All the marinas are going to charge.
    Much of Poole is quite shallow, be advised, and the HM has the most amazingly powerful cameras covering almost all of the harbour, and automatic radar speed monitoring. Just note then the speed limit is 10 knots.
    No landing permitted on Brownsea Island.
    The first few hundred metres just outside the entrance can be very bumpy if the tide is in full chat.
    Poole and Bournemouth are holiday destinations, so no shortage of accommodation.
    Even for just a car, you will have to pay to park anywhere within a hiking distance of the water around Poole.
    Last edited by gjgm; 14-04-19 at 09:39.

There's a beach launching site at the bottom of Lake Road just past the yachtsman pub. Various residential streets around people use for fee parking. A long walk at low at low tide though.

Quote Originally Posted by gjgm View Post
    Not alot, frankly. You could try Rockley Park, but it gets very shallow there and it is a bit of a treck. Even further , there is a small boatyard on the south side of the river Frome.
    There is a very very shallow public slipway at Baiter Park, with a car park. Most will use waders or wet suited jet skiers, to give you the picture.
    All the marinas are going to charge.
    Much of Poole is quite shallow, be advised, and the HM has the most amazingly powerful cameras covering almost all of the harbour, and automatic radar speed monitoring. Just note then the speed limit is 10 knots.
    No landing permitted on Brownsea Island.
    The first few hundred metres just outside the entrance can be very bumpy if the tide is in full chat.
    Poole and Bournemouth are holiday destinations, so no shortage of accommodation.
    Even for just a car, you will have to pay to park anywhere within a hiking distance of the water around Poole.
    Has the whole of poole Harbour got a 10 knot speed limit
    Only ever look down on a person when you are bending over to help them up.

Quote Originally Posted by colhel View Post
    There's a beach launching site at the bottom of Lake Road just past the yachtsman pub. Various residential streets around people use for fee parking. A long walk at low at low tide though.
    Salterns marina at Lilliput have a slip and parking too if the bank account allows. leaving a trailer on street would not be my favourite option.
    Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

Robin+1
    And no speeding harbour you will be watched

Yes 10 knots, and some places are designated quiet zones too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
    Has the whole of poole Harbour got a 10 knot speed limit
    Speed limit applies apart from Wareham Channel, Middle Ship and North Channels in the Winter months between 1 October and 31 March.
    It also doesn't apply if you are on a Royal Marines Training exercise in the dead of night, or if you are Sunseeker staff testing out a Sunseeker before it's been handed over.
    For everyone else in season, it's 10kts.

If you are planning on a holiday park you may as well go to Rockley Park where they have launching etc on site, how they charge for this if you are staying there I don't know.
    Speed limits everywhere during season but there is a water ski area near Rockley, though this is ski only, no inflateable towables.
    Speeding is monitored though you wouldn't know it some days.......
    Patrols all tied up by late afternoon early evening usually............
    If you are staying elsewhere Lake Road is one of only two free options if you can fit between and under size restrictors (see street view).
    The other is next door to the RNLI college, but no parking close by and access has a dogleg, but maybe ok for 4.5m........

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast