Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Poole Harbour Slipways

MDL charge 50 quid to launch a little boat off a slipway? I'm amazed. It would put me off using an MDL marina for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by dpb View Post
    If you are planning on a holiday park you may as well go to Rockley Park where they have launching etc on site, how they charge for this if you are staying there I don't know.
    Speed limits everywhere during season but there is a water ski area near Rockley, though this is ski only, no inflateable towables.
    Speeding is monitored though you wouldn't know it some days.......
    Patrols all tied up by late afternoon early evening usually............
    If you are staying elsewhere Lake Road is one of only two free options if you can fit between and under size restrictors (see street view).
    The other is next door to the RNLI college, but no parking close by and access has a dogleg, but maybe ok for 4.5m........
    We were indeed planning to go to Rockley Park so I will give them a call... Thanks for the information
    Only ever look down on a person when you are bending over to help them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher 5 View Post
    MDL charge 50 quid to launch a little boat off a slipway? I'm amazed. It would put me off using an MDL marina for anything!
    Launch yourself, recover and Park but yes too much in my view

If you are at Rockley Park then they have a reasonable slipway that we have used quite often.

When the tide is running fast then recovery is a test of seamanship as it runs across the end of the slipway, always a huge crowd of appreciative spectators during holiday season. Low water (particularly low water springs) sees a LOT of mud exposed with a narrow channel of water through it. Disconcerting to be coming up the channel with water under the boat whilst small children have paddled out in the shallow water up to their knees to stand a metre or so from you.

Main issue was (the last times we were there which is a while ago now) that the yellow "no parking" hatching across the slipway had worn away, resulting in all and sundry holiday makers parking on the slipway approach. we had a couple of conversations along the lines of "I will park there if I want" which elicited the response from me of "OK, I will try and blind reverse my boat past your car within scratching it" (they always moved!)

Here we are recovering at Rockley in our previous boat (sorry for the camera vibration its mount was loose). As a boater you will appreciate that the bow was not pointing at the trailer on the approach due to tide and wind.
    Last edited by mlines; 14-04-19 at 16:58.
    Regal 2250 - see www.sportsboat.org.uk

Thanks Martin that is incredibly useful. and has swung it for me. The boat I will take is only a 4.5 m light rib with 60 hp on the back so no real issue. I usually launch and recove at the Deben Entrance and that has a huge tide.

I assume that is the boat park near the caravan park..... Is it associated with the actual Caravan park and if so what do you pay to launch etc

Thanks

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPower View Post
    Speed limit applies apart from Wareham Channel, Middle Ship and North Channels in the Winter months between 1 October and 31 March.
    It also doesn't apply if you are on a Royal Marines Training exercise in the dead of night, or if you are Sunseeker staff testing out a Sunseeker before it's been handed over.
    For everyone else in season, it's 10kts.
    and 6 knots in the quiet areas, basically south of Brownsea Island.

Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPower View Post
    Speed limit applies apart from Wareham Channel, Middle Ship and North Channels in the Winter months between 1 October and 31 March.
    It also doesn't apply if you are on a Royal Marines Training exercise in the dead of night, or if you are Sunseeker staff testing out a Sunseeker before it's been handed over.
    For everyone else in season, it's 10kts.
    Don't forgot Pilot Boats, they are required by law to travel at whatever speed produces maximum wash whilst in the harbour limits ..

Quote Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
    Thanks Martin that is incredibly useful. and has swung it for me. The boat I will take is only a 4.5 m light rib with 60 hp on the back so no real issue. I usually launch and recove at the Deben Entrance and that has a huge tide.

I assume that is the boat park near the caravan park..... Is it associated with the actual Caravan park and if so what do you pay to launch etc

Thanks

Dennis
    Its within the caravan park and is associated with the Rockley Watersports company, which is part of the caravan park group. We have only ever paid as a day visitor, not as a caravan park resident. It was around £40 per day for park and launch.
    Regal 2250 - see www.sportsboat.org.uk

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy_o_g View Post
    Don't forgot Pilot Boats, they are required by law to travel at whatever speed produces maximum wash whilst in the harbour limits ..
    They are run by Raggies getting there own back on mobies

Quote Originally Posted by stelican View Post
    They are run by Raggies getting there own back on mobies
    one of them used to dive my boat and clean it's bum mid season, and pick up the winch handles, tools etc dropped ob, had a regular deal with club race boats too.
    Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast