Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Easter plan A.. Channel crossing

Windguru suggests it might be lively crossing.

It's OK he,s now a NIMBy

Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    We always use a cheapo B&Q plug in polarity checker on a mains socket in the cabin and find even the same marina will reverse from one visit to the next. So years ago I made up a very short extension to reverse the polarity back if needed - as it happens I’m using it now. But mark it well so it’s clear what it does.
    +1. Exactly what I have too.

Quote Originally Posted by IDAMAY View Post
    With reference to Nigel's advice above re Carteret be aware that marina entrance depths are likely to be reduced to 1 metre until the end of the month. There is a notice from Ports of Jersey to this effect.
    Is there? Can you post a link to it, please? I've looked on the Jersey Harbours website and I can't see anything. I'm planning to head that way at the start of May, and want to keep an eye out in case it isn't back to normal by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Angele View Post
    Is there? Can you post a link to it, please? I've looked on the Jersey Harbours website and I can't see anything. I'm planning to head that way at the start of May, and want to keep an eye out in case it isn't back to normal by then.
    http://www.digimap.gg/marine/marinas/carteret/

Should be fine I think....

Quote Originally Posted by Nigelpickin View Post
    Thank you.

I hadn't considered any of the Ports down the West coast of Normandy as I've never been that way by boat and trying to catch the tide worries me a little. Also we quite like Cherbourg, I get a feeling I'm in a minority here . Our friends aren't due in Alderney till Tuesday now so maybe we can venture into Carteret, I've read what Cunnliffe has to say on it and it does look quite delightful, thanks for the tip Nigel.
    The weather forecasters seem more optimistic the nearer we get to the weekend and as we're leaving from Weymouth and it's an Easterly, I'm hoping we'll get a good idea of the conditions early into the trip and decide weather to carry on or turn back.
    I spent the weekend nailing a chart plotter to the dash, updated Navionics (phone and hudl) and I've got paper charts. Also fitted a new impellor yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by colhel View Post
    I hadn't considered any of the Ports down the West coast of Normandy as I've never been that way by boat and trying to catch the tide worries me a little. Also we quite like Cherbourg, I get a feeling I'm in a minority here . Our friends aren't due in Alderney till Tuesday now so maybe we can venture into Carteret, I've read what Cunnliffe has to say on it and it does look quite delightful, thanks for the tip Nigel.
    The weather forecasters seem more optimistic the nearer we get to the weekend and as we're leaving from Weymouth and it's an Easterly, I'm hoping we'll get a good idea of the conditions early into the trip and decide weather to carry on or turn back.
    I spent the weekend nailing a chart plotter to the dash, updated Navionics (phone and hudl) and I've got paper charts. Also fitted a new impellor yesterday.

I really prefer Dillette. Far more accessible and nearer to Alderney.
    Last edited by Dill et Bound; 15-04-19 at 21:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigelpickin View Post
    It wasn't in fact a Notice to Mariners but an Email from Jersey Ports. Apologies for the confusion. Contrary to Nigel's link it says that the depth over the cill is reduced to 1metre, that work commences on 18 April and should be completed by the end of the month. I would suggest that anyone thinking of visiting over Easter should contact Carteret before venturing there. (VHF ch9 or 0033 233047084}.

Only reason questioned Cherbourg ,was as you were heading to Alderney , seams you will head back on your self from Weymouth , but if that's your plan ,can understand , have a great time and look forward to catching up when your back

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast