Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Easter plan A.. Channel crossing

Quote Originally Posted by dj43 View Post
    Only reason questioned Cherbourg ,was as you were heading to Alderney , seams you will head back on your self from Weymouth , but if that's your plan ,can understand , have a great time and look forward to catching up when your back
    Tim et all we're planning on getting to Alderney on Sunday and with an Easterly forecast i was concerned it might be a bit bobby. Also catching the East going tide will probably (at our cruising speed) be more direct than Alderney. However, Dillette and Carteret look very atractive and I'm now thinking of waiting for the tide in Alderney and going there instead. Are there tide tables available online for Dillette and Carteret? I had a quick look at the pilot book last night and Carteret was Dover - 4.40 so could go Saturday morning... couldn't I?

Have a great trip Colin. Weather is improving by the day.

Quote Originally Posted by colhel View Post
    Tim et all we're planning on getting to Alderney on Sunday and with an Easterly forecast i was concerned it might be a bit bobby. Also catching the East going tide will probably (at our cruising speed) be more direct than Alderney. However, Dillette and Carteret look very atractive and I'm now thinking of waiting for the tide in Alderney and going there instead. Are there tide tables available online for Dillette and Carteret? I had a quick look at the pilot book last night and Carteret was Dover - 4.40 so could go Saturday morning... couldn't I?
    https://www.tideschart.com/France/No...rteret/Weekly/

Thanks Nigel, most helpful.

I’m not sure if you think your passage could be a bit rough, or that Alderney might be a bit lively in an Easterly. It could be both, but I’d most certainly not want to be in Alderney if anything above a 2 or 3 from the NE is forecast.

Alderney is a real delight, I haven’t been for a few years but can’t wait to return this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by longjohnsilver View Post
    I’m not sure if you think your passage could be a bit rough, or that Alderney might be a bit lively in an Easterly. It could be both, but I’d most certainly not want to be in Alderney if anything above a 2 or 3 from the NE is forecast.

Alderney is a real delight, I haven’t been for a few years but can’t wait to return this summer.
    As this is will be my first time crossing in a motor boat it's hard to tell what the conditions might be. In a sailing boat, even though your at an angle and freezing cold cold the boat remains quite firm and stable.
    Seems to be North Easterlies in the forecast and we spent a night in Alderney in these conditions before so I think at the moment we'll plan for Cherbourg and then onto Guernsey with some exploring on the way.

A quick update. We got to Cherbourg about midday Friday, now en-route to Carteret but at the mo a quick stop in Omonville-La-Rogue for a cup of tea and a slice of cake.

Update 2..... we're going straight to Guernsey.

Update 2..... we're going straight to Guernsey.
    If you want the least expensive fuel in Guernsey, call Rubis and fill up at the fuel pointoon in St Sampsons harbour. 01481 200 800.
    These are the voyages of Play d'eau....www.playdeau.com

Thanks Piers, having just filled up in Cherbourg we're looking to make savings wherever possible .
    We're here for a few days if you want to say hi?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast