Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Used motorboat buying advice

Hi there,

Iím looking for a bit of used motorboat buying advice. Iíve had a small RIB for a couple of years and am now in the market to trade up. Iíve spent quite a while searching the internet and forums for a steer on the below, but have drawn a blank on the following couple of questions...

1. Assuming itís been looked after, with the outboard serviced etc., whatís the optimal depreciation vs maintenance cost window for a small motorboat?

Iíve used 3-8 years as a rule of thumb for cars, but aware the boat market is very different. There are plenty of 2000-2008 pre financial crash small motorboats on the market and some still look great, but very few after that. Assuming usual recreational use, at what age do things like fiberglass water ingress or wiring, hydraulics or outboard reliability start becoming an issue?

2. How quickly do boats sell at this end of the market and how important is the boat's brand?

Iíve seen a guide stating the average number of days it takes to sell a boat being in the hundreds, however this included massive yachts. Iíve also read that brands like Jeanneau, Beneteau or Quicksilver are quicker to sell, but Iíve found few recent used examples outside of the continent.

Something like this Sea Mark is a good-looking boat for the money and ticks all the feature boxes that Iím after, but itís a defunct brand, with no reputation for good quality and that Iíd worry might be hard to sell on. As a side note, there is very little on the web re Sea Mark, but from what I could find out, these are Polish built boats marketed out of a UK marine merchant in the 00s which has subsequently folded and suspiciously changed its trading name several times!:

https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/...k-550sc/260350

In terms of the type of boat Iím after, which will be used for fishing, water skiing, days out with family and friends in the Solent and elsewhere (e.g. Fowey, Padstow etc.):

• Between 5.5-6.5m, making it big enough to get 10-15 miles off shore and handle force 1-4 changing sea states, but easy to tow and launch single-handed. I have a Land Rover Discovery 4, so towing capacity at this size isnít an issue.

• Outboard motor.

• Deep V planing hull to cut through the Solent chop is really important, ideally with decent chines to keep dry, and a relatively stable platform at anchor for fishing etc. Aware everythingís a compromise with these factors.

• Ideally a centre console (or similar with easy access to the anchor), but with some weather protection (e.g. screen, optional bimini, camper hood etc.). Small cabin space in the console so that the mrs can use a portaloo out of sight. The above Sea Mark and other models like the Jeanneau 550 Cap Camarat CC has the loo space feature. Would consider a small cuddy also, like this Jeanneau, but would prefer the additional front deck space: https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/...der-605/262490

• Social friendly set-up for 4 people. Two turnable cockpit seats, passenger seats in the stern, sunbed/table features at bow.

Iíd love to be spending sub £10k with a trailer. However, if thatís only going to get me a maintenance money pit, have reliability issues or be a boat thatís going to be very hard to sell on quickly if needed, Iíd rather spend more money up front (perhaps up to £15k).

Any help or advice gratefully appreciated.

Cheers

Default Re: Used motorboat buying advice

I have no experience in the size range you are looking st so I can only give a general answer.

Brand matters combined with geography matters a lot when you come to sell it. Fairline / princess etc popular with U.K. buyers, ferreti , Cranchi etc with med / Italian buyers. Quality may have something to do with it but it is mostly that say a U.K. buyer will know what a Fairline looks like and that they have a reasonable reputation and as such buyers will look for that make and model. They tend not to look for an unknown brand - but that does not make it a bad boat per se.

The flip side of course is you can pay less when you buy it. Personally I would stick to a known brand.

Age is a relative thing. For me it is about 10years. Everything deteriorates with age. Interiors, mechanicals, exterior pads etc and on a boat there is a lot of everything so the task to fix / renovate gets larger with time. Age is not all. The condition of boats varies considerably depending on how well they have been looked after.

At the end of the day you have a budget and in my view will want the best condition acceptable brand boat you can find for the money. That in turn should make it saleable.

Bear in mind that at the smaller end of the market people tend to upsize quite quickly and selling a boat is slower and more expensive than a car so if you can afford to skip a size now you may find you save some money in the long run.

motor likely to be the biggest risk when older.
    the boat can be used if the hull etc is tatty.

There is a lot of variation in that size of boat. I have a Ryds 620 (swedish brand), I was also looking at the Cap Camerat WA. Both boats, after testing several in the size range shad much better build quality and weight which made the seakeeping a lot better than those with the Polish and Latvian hulls. Those hulls are ok on lakes, but for me, way too light for a comfortable and safe ride at sea, the Sea Mark looks like it's one of these hulls, as used by brands like Ornvik, Atol and Quicksilver during that time.

A friend had 2 x Atol 550's built in Poland which looks very similar to the SeaMark you are looking at. The first was replaced under warranty due to a cracked hull from what shouldn't have been too heavy a landing from hitting another boats wake, the second also cracked and has been sitting at the bottom of his garden for about 7 years now. With a Mercury 80 on the back, the hull barely touched the water due to it being so light with nearly no displacement.

In the age range you are looking at, you might also come across some with 2stroke outboards. From experience, keep clear of anything from Johnson/Envirinude from the early 00's.

That Semark 550 sc looks quite a good little boat.
    But I would be nervous about using that 2 wheel trailer as the photo does not show a brake cable underneath the trailer which means that it is an unbraked trailer, consequently you are only able to tow 750 kilos and I would assume that with a few gallons of fuel on board you could be over the towing limit.
    Many years ago I bought a new 16ft Marina GT and a brand new trailer (single axle) and with fuel on board when towing the trailer chassis buckled.

Many thanks for the responses and advice, and apologies for my delay in reply. I wasnít getting reply notifications.

Jim@sea agree that the trailer doesnít look legal. If I was going for this boat, Iíd want the current owner to deliver to the nearby marina I use where Iíd store and self-launch it from this summer, before buying a new braked trailer. And also Iíd want the purchase price to reflect the later.

PalmaTarga very interesting to your hear your experience with these hulls. I canít find any info like weight etc. online about this SeaMark. I was under the assumption that a GRP hull of this size was just a basic and strong tub and I wouldnít need to worry about structural issues! A cracked hull in rough sea sounds like a sunk boat! And I was under the impression that Quicksilver was a pretty reputable make, so surprised to hear that make in the mix.

Useful insight to have around brand and geography jrudge. 10 years or younger would be ideal, but seems to be right on the cusp of when people stopped buying new motorboards at this size. As I understand it, the financial crash wiped out most of the entry level market in the UK in 2008/2009, leading to a dried up subsequent second hand market.

I'd love a Jeanneau Cap Camarat, but good second hand ones seem hard to find in the UK. This one at 14.9k euros (albeit, no trailer) looks great, but itís in the South of France:

https://www.boat24.com/en/powerboats...detail/374982/

If you can find a Cap Camera 625 WA it fits the bill nicely. Even includes a nice ski pole at the rear. 2 berth and room for loo, 2 swivelling seats. I used one in the Solent and seakeeping was good. Quite rare, £10k should secure one from around 2005 ish....

https://www.jeanneau.com/en-gb/boats...camarat-625-wa

Quote Originally Posted by RIDSO View Post
    Would consider a small cuddy also, like this Jeanneau, but would prefer the additional front deck space: https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/...der-605/262490
    Purely my opinion, but if you are going to be using it at sea lean towards a cuddy. Green water over the bow is never sought but when it does happen and for whatever reason, you dont want to be helming a spoon. For the short time I had a small boat, I was enormously grateful on two occasions it had a cuddy deck. Once was being caught by a large mobo wake in the channel (Sunseeker 70 odd show boating for the boat show), once because I misread the weather and it turned while I was out.

On another note. I always found mine was limited in range. It had a range of 60nm but where I live and using the rule of thirds that didn't allow for much scope.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
    Purely my opinion, but if you are going to be using it at sea lean towards a cuddy. Green water over the bow is never sought but when it does happen and for whatever reason, you dont want to be helming a spoon. For the short time I had a small boat, I was enormously grateful on two occasions it had a cuddy deck. Once was being caught by a large mobo wake in the channel (Sunseeker 70 odd show boating for the boat show), once because I misread the weather and it turned while I was out.

On another note. I always found mine was limited in range. It had a range of 60nm but where I live and using the rule of thirds that didn't allow for much scope.
    The Cap Camerat is a cuddy.... It also has the benefit of a slightly recessed foredeck for sitting or sunbathing. In my year of ownership I never had green waves over the bow and if I did the asymmetric walkaround would drain water in a flash..

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Property View Post
    The Cap Camerat is a cuddy.... It also has the benefit of a slightly recessed foredeck for sitting or sunbathing. In my year of ownership I never had green waves over the bow and if I did the asymmetric walkaround would drain water in a flash..
    I'm not aligning myself over any particular model, just pointing out a preference concern and why. This is a very poor example at a place you wouldn't want to go, but does at least to some point show what happens when an open boat turns into a spoon.

and then some people seem to get a thrill out of positively exploiting this ability

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast