Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Used motorboat buying advice

Self bailing cockpit worked really well in that first video.
    Quite impressed. Biggest issue was being out in unsuitable weather
    Free supercharging Tesla referral code http://ts.la/jez9763

Quote Originally Posted by Whitelighter View Post
    Self bailing cockpit worked really well in that first video.
    Quite impressed. Biggest issue was being out in unsuitable weather
    Yes I was impressed too and I am sure most sea going open boats will as well. My concern is the lower tipping point. We've all seen the one coming into Jupiter that was still partially flooded and the second round sank it within seconds. When I was hit by the big wake of the Sunseeker it was the first wave that sent me airborne and the immediate second that I submarined on.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Property View Post
    If you can find a Cap Camera 625 WA it fits the bill nicely. Even includes a nice ski pole at the rear. 2 berth and room for loo, 2 swivelling seats. I used one in the Solent and seakeeping was good. Quite rare, £10k should secure one from around 2005 ish....

https://www.jeanneau.com/en-gb/boats...camarat-625-wa
    That was the best of the bunch for me as a walk around boat. The space is used well as the fore deck can be transformed into a sunbed. Many of the WA's in that size range have a fore deck that can't be used as seating, and the cockpit had a full width bench seat rather than two individuals . They are quite rare outside of France though.

Returning to the OP question "what age do things like fibreglass water ingress or wiring, hydraulics or outboard reliability start becoming an issue?"

On a boat of this size, with a decent brand you wont really have any issues with the fibreglass, the wiring will be minimal and easy to fix yourself. You'll only have lights, wipers, bilge pump, chartplotter and motor electrics. Outboard reliability will be very dependant on how it's been looked after.

Hot Property/BruceK, I actually contemplated a Cap Camarat walk around at first and liked the usable sun bed up front. I was looking at the 5.5, in which the cuddy didn’t really seem to be big enough to overnight in (I’m 6’3). So, I thought the space would be better used for me in open deck centre console format, but with a small loo space.

I was originally looking at newer models and the price went up massively for an extra half a meter or so. But if the 625 is a boat that will still be reliable, have a lot of life left in it and be sellable when 10-15 years old like PalmaTarga says, it could be a very interesting option if I can find one outside of France.

I’d heard centre consoles being a bit more exposed to spray and definitely want a self-bailer, but never seen that spooning issue! Definitely food for thought. That Florida video looks like Haulover Inlet; there’s a Youtube sub channel dedicated to footage of different boats going in and out and it’s always pretty choppy:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...mO57ixTien4wSk
    Last edited by RIDSO; 18-04-19 at 08:40.

Quote Originally Posted by RIDSO View Post
    Hot Property/BruceK, I actually contemplated a WA Cap Camarat walk around considered at first and liked the usable subbed up front. I was looking at the 5.5, in which the cuddy didnít really seem to be big enough to overnight in (Iím 6í3). So, I thought the space would be better used for me in open deck centre console format, but with a small loo space.

I was originally looking at newer models and the price went up massively for an extra half a meter or so. But if the 625 is a boat that will still be reliable, have a lot of life left in it and be sellable when 10-15 years old like PalmaTarga says, it could be a very interesting option if I can find one outside of France.

Iíd heard centre consoles being a bit more exposed to spray and definitely want a self-bailer, but never seen that spooning issue! Definitely food for thought. That Florida video looks like Haulover Inlet; thereís a Youtube sub channel dedicated to footage of different boats going in and out and itís always pretty choppy:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...mO57ixTien4wSk
    You could always look in France for a 625...

Lots more to choose from and you could either tow it back yourself or use a collection service of which there are several operating in UK.

Asking price is not normally the final selling price either....

PM me if you want some photos of the one we had or to chat.

Quote Originally Posted by RIDSO View Post

I’d heard centre consoles being a bit more exposed to spray and definitely want a self-bailer, but never seen that spooning issue!]
    Have a look at all the fast fishers on the local market and see how many variants have an open bow. Bet you can count them with your fingers. Then remember that deck space is premium for them and walk around would be highly desirable too
    Last edited by BruceK; 18-04-19 at 08:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Property View Post
    You could always look in France for a 625...

Lots more to choose from and you could either tow it back yourself or use a collection service of which there are several operating in UK.

Asking price is not normally the final selling price either....

PM me if you want some photos of the one we had or to chat.
    Buying my first big boat from the South of France feels a little daunting, but useful to know about collection services. I guess that pumps the price back up, but could be worth considering if it's significantly cheaper in the first place and nothing comes up on the UK market after a while.

Thank you very much for all the advice and offer for further photos/chat. I will do a little more desk research and may well take you up on that offer if I get a little closer to pulling the trigger on a Cap Camarat!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12