Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question I'm just about to commit to Copper Coat!?

Ok so last time I antifouled was 2 years ago after three thin coats of cruiser uno. Been ok since then and now in the Canary Islands and barnacles are starting to take hold. I want something that is less polluting that antifoul and performs equally well. Cost is not an issue in this decision.

Having never used coppercoat, am I making the right decision for a boat that cruises 7-9 months of every year!
    www.Chasing-Contours.com - A circumnavigation by boat, bikes, climbing & paragliding

Default Re: I'm just about to commit to Copper Coat!?

Definitely. Make sure it goes on as per manufacturers instructions, ideally by doing it yourself .....or keep a close eye on whoever does it for you. DON'T 'activate with sandpaper, just launch and forget (we've only pressure washed ours over 7 seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by fastjedi View Post
    Definitely. Make sure it goes on as per manufacturers instructions, ideally by doing it yourself .....or keep a close eye on whoever does it for you. DON'T 'activate with sandpaper, just launch and forget (we've only pressure washed ours over 7 seasons)
    +1. In fact, when I posted photos here and suggested I would give abrade it, I was strongly advised by AMC that as the Coppercoat was clearly working and had attained a good green patina, I'd be a) wasting my time and b) shortening the lifespan of the coating. Mine has never been abraded and only pressure-washed once!

We had it done two winters ago. Very impressed after one season. There is a case for having it done professionally by someone with experience and good reviews.

Our boat seems to be going faster after having it done, presumably because the hull is now smooth with no cratering associated with old antifoul build-up.

I have abraded my Coppercoat every year with Scotchbrite pads but, apart from the first year, it has never worked properly and has been much worse than the conventional antifoul used previously. Coppercoat/AMC have now advised me that Scotchbrite pads are not nearly abrasive enough to activate the copper and that I must use a power sander and 100 grit disks.

Richard

Another vote of confidence here, albeit in much colder waters (though still with lots of fouling). It needs to be scrubbed occasionally for good performance; two years in I haven't yet felt the need to abrade it beyond a firm brushing when cleaning the hull.

Coppercoat works very well as antifouling but the hull has to be dry as any trapped moisture will create blisters between the coppercoat and gelcoat.

If you want something environmentally friendly I would go for the sonic antifouling. It is my understanding that it does not work great on all organisms so you would probably have to go under to clean by hand once in a while. In theory you would never again have to repaint.

Copper coat and abrade. Now in my 9th year with it. No brainer from a cost and work point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by miha90 View Post
    If you want something environmentally friendly I would go for the sonic antifouling. It is my understanding that it does not work great on all organisms so you would probably have to go under to clean by hand once in a while. In theory you would never again have to repaint.
    I suppose I've just never met anyone that has it or can vouch for it. Also might it scare off the dolphins or fish? That would be a big negative point. That said, if I knew it would work then I'd certainly go for it in terms of the eco option.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast