Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Default Will diesel heater skin fitting be below water line when heeling?

20190415_071823.jpg
    Hi all
    I was really pleased with my self yesterday when I fitted a diesel heater to my boat
    I was about to drill a hole for in the hull for the skin fitting and someone mentioned to me to make sure that the skin fitting would not be underwater when heeled over. I never even thought about that to be honest! I'm not sure how much my boat heels. Do you think the pink dot in the photo is an okay position for the exhaust fitting? The heater is mounted in the forward part of the cockpit locker.
    I suppose the alternative is to buy more exhaust pipe and run it all the way through the cockpit locker and out the back of the boat.
    Thanks

Default Re: Will diesel heater skin fitting be below water line when heeling?

High up through the transom would be my solution. It’s where mine goes...so far without issue.

Yeah I would have done that but my heater is right at the front of the cockpit locker
    So I wondered if I could go out sideways through the hull where that pink dot is

Quote Originally Posted by Achosenman View Post
    High up through the transom would be my solution. Itís where mine goes...so far without issue.
    +1 less likely to give rise to exhaust noise and if you raft, annoy alongside boat.
    .......also greatly eliminates chances of neat round holes burnt in fenders.

Maybe not under water as such but definitely there will be waves that push up that far. Transom would be my choice.

It's not difficult to run the exhaust out through the transom.

- W

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    +1 less likely to give rise to exhaust noise and if you raft, annoy alongside boat.
    .......also greatly eliminates chances of neat round holes burnt in fenders.
    Agree.

Ach not the answer I wanted but thanks
    No it's not difficult just need to buy some additional exhaust pipe and insulation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crinan12 View Post
    20190415_071823.jpg
    Hi all
    I was really pleased with my self yesterday when I fitted a diesel heater to my boat
    I was about to drill a hole for in the hull for the skin fitting and someone mentioned to me to make sure that the skin fitting would not be underwater when heeled over. I never even thought about that to be honest! I'm not sure how much my boat heels. Do you think the pink dot in the photo is an okay position for the exhaust fitting? The heater is mounted in the forward part of the cockpit locker.
    I suppose the alternative is to buy more exhaust pipe and run it all the way through the cockpit locker and out the back of the boat.
    Thanks
    Positioning the heater to minimise either long exhaust or long ducting runs will always be a compromise. I have seen exhaust through cabin roofs and in one case 2 smaller heaters (one fwd one aft) for just this reason. With your proposed installation you would need to balance your pros with the cons ( alluded to in various replies) If ,on balance, you can live with the cons then go for your solution. ( have a bung if you feel you may sail really heeled over!!

A bung, that's a good idea. Would just need to remember to use it!
    We're on a mooring so I guess we won't be using fenders much so not really an issue with them burning
    Thanks

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast