Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Default Crinan Canal, more hassle

The geniuses (genii?) who run the Crinan have decided on a new system, they want boats to lock in to the canal in the evening. (The tides North of Crinan are something no one has ever been able to explain to them) and to transit in convoy the following day. They require boats to book 24 hours in advance. They think this is a good idea because it is what is done in the 'staircase' locks on the Cally. They are still recommending the use of a pilot so obviously this change does not involve them manning the locks. I expect them to try to get this to work for up to a week before we can all go back to normal. Meantime it is good news for the folk on Gigha
    The canal goes on to longer summer hours from Easter, there is still no waiting pontoon at Ardrishaig or any sign of one, with the current strong easterlies those waiting overnight in the sea lock looked far from comfortable.
    Ardrishaig Sea Lock 01546 502458
    Crinan Sea Lock 01546 830285 but note these phones are only manned when the lock keeper is sitting in the office.

Default Re: Crinan Canal, more hassle

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    The geniuses (genii?) who run the Crinan have decided on a new system, they want boats to lock in to the canal in the evening.
    Does this mean that they are providing evening locking-in again? The sealocks used to run until 20.30 in the season, which was very useful.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Don't be daft, you think they are trying to make things better? The Canal runs a cafe/restaurant in Ardrishaig which is doing very little business because many folk coming in in the afternoon head on up to Cairnbaan to eat in the hotel, it has been said locally that this is an attempt to generate some business for it by keeping boats here overnight. Myself, I do not think they will have thought that much out.
    Some time later this year they are opening a building they refer to as a 'hub' formerly the 'eggshed'. It is a vaguely Faroese looking red tin box and while it has been a long expensive building project , they are desperately trying to find a coherent use for it, this village has already got two public halls for a population of less than 1,000. Probably finish up as another of these short lived local museums with 3 visitors a day.
    Meantime the sea lock gate has broken its attachment from the balance beam and is creaking along until it fails or they find money to fix it.

Don't be daft, you think they are trying to make things better? The Canal runs a cafe/restaurant in Ardrishaig which is doing very little business because many folk coming in in the afternoon head on up to Cairnbaan to eat in the hotel, it has been said locally that this is an attempt to generate some business for it by keeping boats here overnight. Myself, I do not think they will have thought that much out.
    Is that the former YotSpot restaurant?
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

It's about time that they announced it's closure and intention to fill it in. Only then will there be a sufficient noise made to the Scottish Government to intervene and do something about it. The current board are made up of members experienced in dishing out other peoples money and transitioning sectors through crisis, they don't appear to me to be inspirational.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Quote Originally Posted by BlowingOldBoots View Post
    It's about time that they announced it's closure and intention to fill it in. Only then will there be a sufficient noise made to the Scottish Government to intervene and do something about it. The current board are made up of members experienced in dishing out other peoples money and transitioning sectors through crisis, they don't appear to me to be inspirational.
    I don't think they will go as far as filling it in, but when an expensive calamity occurs to an inland lock I reckon we'll see it reduced to locks 1, 14 and 15 operating (enough for the two basins plus Bellanoch Bay to remain accessible) and the rest indefinitely "mothballed". Once that has happened the estimated costs of re-opening will be for full restoration rather than repair to whatever closed it, which will add a couple of zeros and means that it never happens.

It's a great shame, but I don't see the political will to spend a good deal of public money on a relatively small number of relatively wealthy recreational boaters.

Some time later this year they are opening a building they refer to as a 'hub' formerly the 'eggshed'. It is a vaguely Faroese looking red tin box and while it has been a long expensive building project , they are desperately trying to find a coherent use for it, this village has already got two public halls for a population of less than 1,000. Probably finish up as another of these short lived local museums with 3 visitors a day.
    Meantime the sea lock gate has broken its attachment from the balance beam and is creaking along until it fails or they find money to fix it.
    is that the S sea lock at Ardrishaig that seemed to be held together horizontally with a chain winch?

thanks for flagging up the booking on/convoy system. we went through (to the W) 2 weeks ago. v helpful staff, but they seemed reserved about the new system

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Is that the former YotSpot restaurant?
    Yep, Scottish Canals have so little to do they are running it themselves now after the second major refit in 3 years. They have brought over the wee kelpies to sit outside for a while to encourage some interest. There is talk of them opening it in the evening come the summer.
    The Rumblin Tum across the road from it has changed hands but it still does a great breakfast.

The lifting strop and chain are holding one side together, the other side has parted and is waving about in the breeze, no signs of any repairs or maintenance anywhere on the system this winter. Hope the old canal is able to stagger through another season, the guys that work on it are really dispirited about the way it is being run.

Quote Originally Posted by bikedaft View Post
    thanks for flagging up the booking on/convoy system. we went through (to the W) 2 weeks ago. v helpful staff, but they seemed reserved about the new system
    What happens under the new system if I turn up at 11am ... do I have to wait till the evening to lock in and till the following day to go through?

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    What happens under the new system if I turn up at 11am ... do I have to wait till the evening to lock in and till the following day to go through?
    Why not try it and let us know the result? It looks like the sub-6 hour transit has gone forever.

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast