Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Default Re: Crinan Canal, more hassle

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    Unfortunately this year Webbys experience is typical, I know he is not coming back but it would be great if he sent a copy of his post to Scottish Canals...
    Far better would be to write to either the transport or tourism ministers at Holyrood as the SC management are never going to change anything.

Depressing really as we both have the best for the canal at heart.
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

Quote Originally Posted by ctva View Post
    Far better would be to write to either the transport or tourism ministers at Holyrood as the SC management are never going to change anything.

Depressing really as we both have the best for the canal at heart.
    maybe these political/legal lightweights could assist - but don't bet on any result...

Transport Minister Mike Mathieson : map at parliament.scot

Transport Scotland Maritime Director: francespacetti at transport.gov.scot

Boat - Clyde, Home - Overlooking the Tamar

Oh dear, and today I’ve made a new fender board. Might as well cut it up for firewood. Sounds like waiting at Campbeltown for fair passage around the Mull is the only option this season.

I carry a fender board but do not use it in the canal, I have seen too many get tangled up with the open lock gate columns on the way past.

Alness / Loch Ness Northern Scottish Highlands.

What a shambles.

In other news, I hear the F&C is open again and the Calley should be open again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by A1Sailor View Post
    They used to run until 22.00, at least the Ardrishaig sealock did when I worked there last century.
    I think that was Wednesdays only in my youth. Crinan used to stay open till late for the fishing boats, too.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by webcraft View Post
    I have transited the Crinan many times, and up until now have always found the staff friendly and helpful, particularly if you are on a boat with only two of you. We did not expect an assisted passage, but we did expect our passage to be made as comfortable as possible and for the staff to do what they could to expedite it. In total we were kept hanging around waiting for staff for around two hours on what is already a ridiculously short day ...
    In the year of compulsory assisted passage they managed to get me from Ardrishaig (locked in at 8.30) to Dunardry (tied up at 5pm) in one day. Mainly this was because we had to wait an hour for the Bellanoch Bridge keeper to have his lunch and a further two hours at the pontoon there because the entire staff for the "up" flight had gone to help one boat coming down. The management clearly isn'y great, but I'd cheerfully put most of the staff through a wood-chipper, feet-first, as well.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    .... most of the staff ...
    Is the staff middle aged or older? My employer found that by releasing all his grey haired staff who were experienced and hiring bright young things more was done at far less cost i.e. productivity improved remarkably. The knock on effect with the remaining grey haired staff has also paid dividends. Sounds to me as if they should all be on zero hours contracts and called out when needed i.e. opening a bridge, operating a lock, paid by the bridge or lock, not time.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

well we found the staff just fine. no bridge delays due to lunch etc (which i remember from the past)

helpful. apologetic about the state of the infrastructure. pointing out where toilet blocks were etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    In the year of compulsory assisted passage they managed to get me from Ardrishaig (locked in at 8.30) to Dunardry (tied up at 5pm) in one day. Mainly this was because we had to wait an hour for the Bellanoch Bridge keeper to have his lunch and a further two hours at the pontoon there because the entire staff for the "up" flight had gone to help one boat coming down. The management clearly isn'y great, but I'd cheerfully put most of the staff through a wood-chipper, feet-first, as her well.
    That year of "assisted" passages - I bought a 16 day pass and transited 7 times, 5 of them single-handed. On one trip I descended the Dunardry flight during the "assistance" lunch/card school break - seemed to confuse the puir wee souls -I didn't bother closing the gates. The price hike that year was never fully reversed when the assistance was withdrawn.
    Last edited by awol; 17-04-19 at 19:12. Reason: Predictive text corrected on a bus

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast