Default Plastic welding near Glasgow

My Sportyak has been damaged over the winter and has a 6" crack along one hull. I'm going to try having it welded, and two companies have offered to do the work. I wondered if anyone had any experience of either AA Plastic Solutions of Hamilton or Anthony Plastics of Glasgow? Both propose the same solution: a patch over the crack, hot-air welded into place.

By the way, well-meaning gloom and doom warnings about the whole business, however kindly intended, are not necessary. I am not particularly sanguine about the long-term prospects, but since the quoted costs are about 1/8 of the cost of a new Sportyak, I think it's worth a go. And I have to drive to Glasgow via Hamilton this week or next anyway.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Default Re: Plastic welding near Glasgow

Many years ago we had a topper that had been repaired and the repair started to fail. I fitted an inspection hatch on the deck and managed to fit in some pe sheet that I then bolted in place with the countersink on the outside. I managed to get some sealant in the old repair to help. Leakage back into the sealed compartment was acceptable for use as a basic sailing dinghy.

Quote Originally Posted by Boathook View Post
    Many years ago we had a topper that had been repaired and the repair started to fail. I fitted an inspection hatch on the deck and managed to fit in some pe sheet that I then bolted in place with the countersink on the outside. I managed to get some sealant in the old repair to help. Leakage back into the sealed compartment was acceptable for use as a basic sailing dinghy.
    Thanks. Unfortunately the inside of the SportYak is all either very curved or very ribbed, so getting at the back really isn't an option. That's the main reason I hae ma doots aboot the hale process, but at the cost it's worth a go.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Thanks. Unfortunately the inside of the SportYak is all either very curved or very ribbed, so getting at the back really isn't an option. That's the main reason I hae ma doots aboot the hale process, but at the cost it's worth a go.
    Didn't LakeSailor post something about repairing a SportYak with some old polythene and a hot air gun?

My junky Pioner plastic mooring taxi has had a hard life and is patched with roofing flash band type gunk....has worked perfectly..

Not pretty but it is totally waterproof.

I have attempted hot air welding on polyethylene in the past and it is very difficult to get the sides of the repair hot enough to bond with the rod without melting a bigger hole...
    Last edited by wully1; 15-04-19 at 20:04.

Quote Originally Posted by AntarcticPilot View Post
    Didn't LakeSailor post something about repairing a SportYak with some old polythene and a hot air gun?
    Yes, I think I remember something along those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by wully1 View Post
    I have attempted hot air welding on polyethylene in the past and it is very difficult to get the sides of the repair hot enough to bond with the rod without melting a bigger hole...
    That's why I'm going to try the professionals!

That's why I'm going to try the professionals!
    Let us know how you get on!

QD plastics in Dumbarton regularly do this sort of thing.

Call Ian Thomson on 01389 762377

Donald

Quote Originally Posted by wully1 View Post
    Let us know how you get on!
    Will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Aja View Post
    QD plastics in Dumbarton regularly do this sort of thing.

Call Ian Thomson on 01389 762377
    Thanks. Duly added to the list!