Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Eating Ashore Gosport

Those that visit Gosport occasionally will I am sure will know about the The Castle pub which you trip over when walking out from the marinas, the cafe opposite and The Great Wall (if still there). Is there anywhere else a short walking distance that is worth a try for good value crew hearty food? The entire Clipper Round The World fleet is based there so I cannot believe those hungry crews all fit in one pub. Make it easy for the moderators, no negative comments just positive.

Default Re: Eating Ashore Gosport

I had a mooring off Gosport and never found anywhere decent, but that was 1987 on for a few years.

It's not that drastic to get the ferry, there are lots of good places in the Quays and Old Portsmouth / Southsea.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Based upon experience, I'd go back to the:
    1 - Castle Tavern
    2 - Crew Mess Cafe (daytime)
    3 - The Great Wall (if still open)
    4 - The chippy below The Great Wall (can't remember the name)
    5 - Can't remember if Nelson's Bar did food: a long night)
    6 - Sultan's Grill (a lot of a walk but great kebabs)
    7 - Gosport Masonic centre (a well kept secret...)
    8 - The Victualler (expensive on opening night, probably improved since)
    9 - T&J Chinese

Quote Originally Posted by langstonelayabout View Post
    Based upon experience, I'd go back to the:
    1 - .......
    3 - The Great Wall (if still open)
    4. ........
    I've got to say the Great Wall is one of the worst slop shops I have ever had the misfortune of eating in. Sorry for the negativity, but it's really really bad!

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    I've got to say the Great Wall is one of the worst slop shops I have ever had the misfortune of eating in. Sorry for the negativity, but it's really really bad!
    It used to be nice 20-odd years ago, I suspect Gunwharf killed it?

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    It used to be nice 20-odd years ago, I suspect Gunwharf killed it?
    I think that's right, Gunwharf has decimated the restaurants and bars on both the Gosport and Portsmouth sides. My kids are a perfect example; off the boat and onto the ferry without caring to even consider local options.

To add something to the list: The Boat House Cafe in Premier Marinas is good for breakfast, lunch, and also dinner if one keeps away from the fancier offerings. It is however rammed by the Clipper trainees on whatever days they run their courses.

Is anywhere a short walk from the visitor's pontoon in Gosport? Last time I got the short straw and had to go and collect the take away from the marina reception, which was a hike in itself. That attractions ashore are, well, unattractive, Gosport is definitely a place to provision well for eating aboard.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    Is anywhere a short walk from the visitor's pontoon in Gosport? Last time I got the short straw and had to go and collect the take away from the marina reception, which was a hike in itself. That attractions ashore are, well, unattractive, Gosport is definitely a place to provision well for eating aboard.
    It's probably quicker to take the tender across to the Bridge Tavern or the American.

It's been a while since we were in clarence marina but a quick google shows that the G's (which used to shut at random times even if customers were still in the bar) is now "The Victualler" and Red's (comically dire service and random food) is now "Arty's". Anyone got any experience of either?

I note that the Pizza place that used to deliver to Clarence from Fareham has closed down. Anyone got a recommendation for decent (ie not dominos or pizza hut) pizza delivery options to the Gosport marinas?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast