Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Where to locate my new cleats?

I've just fitted a windlass in the place of the original, centrally located, mooring cleat. I now need to fit two new cleats to replace it.

Because the toerails are teak, I'm worried they'll rub away if the toerails are placed alongside, in which seems to be their natural location. Placing them in front of the windlass would be rather crowded. I could also remove the fairleads and put the cleats in the their prior location. Would I lose anything by doing so?

All thoughts / ideas greatly appreciated!

IMG_20190414_184752.jpg

IMG_20190414_184734.jpg

IMG_20190414_184500.jpg

Default Re: Where to locate my new cleats?

I think behind the windlass as in picture 2. I assume that you can get to the underside to be able to bolt in place with backing pads if required?

Thanks. Yes, that does seem like the natural location but would to do about rubbing away the toerail? I suppose I could cut out a section

Definitely not as shown in numbers 1 or 3. Number two is better, but I would put them close to the toe rail and even further back, just ahead of the stantion with the furling line block. The advantage of having them well back from the fairlead is that you can then easily sweat in a mooring line if you have to pull it in a bit more. You will particularly appreciate a good separation if you go to the Mediterranean and moor on a lazy line.

P.S. Don't worry about the toe rail. Provided you use the fairlead it will not be in the way. If you plan to moor directly to the cleat, then reduce the height of the toe rail locally and screw on a stainless steel rubbing strip.
    Last edited by Norman_E; 15-04-19 at 13:40.
    Working on immortality - One day at a time.

If the old single cleat was in the best place originally then why not weld the old cleat back onto the top of the windlass? You won't ever be using both at once!

Some of my cleats bear on the toerail. The solution is to put a brass (or s/s) strip on the wood.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

I'd consider putting the cleats where those fairleads currently are.

Looking at picture 2 Id go back behind the stanchion post to where the gap between the two toe rails is. Mine is like that and I can either go directly from cleats as a bridle (or for lazy lines) or from bow roller or fairleads along the deck to them.

Hi all

Many thanks for your input. I've put my spinnaker pole back in its home and taken a photo with another layout. This seems like a a workable solution to me, if a little cluttered. Thoughts?

new.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    Some of my cleats bear on the toerail. The solution is to put a brass (or s/s) strip on the wood.
    Now why didn't I think of that?!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast