Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Engine raw water pump not priming

Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    Perhaps "fully drains" was a bad choice of words.
    I think you got that bit correct.

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    I think you got that bit correct.
    ..............and people call me a smart alec
    Do everyone a favour - Smile !

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    I suspect your strainer is incorrectly plumbed. The pipe from the inlet seacock should go to the connection which has a pipe extending upwards inside the strainer, to within about 20mm of the top. If you fill the strainer with water, the only way it can empty is via the connection to the raw water pump. See the diagram in the manual...

https://www.vetus.com/media/wysiwyg/...ype_FTR140.pdf
    Just after liftout I run the engine ashore for maybe 20-30 seconds with the strainer lid off, pouring fresh water in from a watering can. Then as that finishes put through a few pints of antifreeze mixture - when that stops coming out the exhaust turn off the engine for the winter. So it's not still primed with last years' seawater.

My Vetus stranier certainly doesn't have a pipe going to within 20mm of the top, the inlet pipe (I'll look on Saturday) only just goes in to the strainer basket base. I'm going to check which way it's plumbed, but either way the water gets strained.

Quote Originally Posted by jwilson View Post
    My Vetus stranier certainly doesn't have a pipe going to within 20mm of the top, the inlet pipe (I'll look on Saturday) only just goes in to the strainer basket base. I'm going to check which way it's plumbed, but either way the water gets strained.
    Have a look and report back.

I suddenly has a problem with the pump not priming & could only get it to prime by heeling the boat to get the deck awash & then starting the engine. I had already tried pouring water in through the strainer but being SH & near sand banks it was difficult to experiment.

It is a Johnson pump on a Volvo MD2020 with saildrive.
    I later found the problem to be a very slightly (& I mean slightly) worn pump cover.
    I solved it temporarily by cleaning the paint off the face of the cover & reversing it.

Rather than buy a new one at silly Volvo prices I used a piece of brass plate ( 4-50 enough for 2) & drilled it & fitted it. It does not have to be the shape of the standard cover as the holes are all drilled to a circle & the plate can be a circle as well. I cut it out with a hole cutter with the central drill bit removed.

One day I will machine a groove in the other piece of brass fit a seal & make my own speed seal
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

My inlet hose collapsed as I had forgotten to open the sea valve (solution in hand, inhibitor switch). I replaced it with Screwfix suction hose - 17 for 7 metres 1" diameter.

The Jabsco was dry with just the supplied grease inside.

It self primed lifting around a metre from sea level.
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123