Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Mallorca Easter Weather

Well to cap off a great weekend, I attempted to take to boat out but got the lazy line wrapped round the prop. Couldnt clear it myself so the boat will have to be lifted and have the props removed. Hopefully it won't have damaged the shaft seals, but I doubt I'll have been that lucky.

Yay

Bummer. How did you manage to snag it?

It was entirely my fault, I hadn't realise that the front line was snagged in the cleat so the lazy line got lifted up as I went forwards and into the prop.

Might have another go at clearing it before my flight home.

Bugger. Can you get a diver ? Last time I did it ( makes my blood boil - the marinero was holding the line up onto the props as we came in) it cost e120 and they were there in about 5 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    they were there in about 5 mins
    Based on the marinero behaviour that you describe, probably the diver was already somewhere on the dock with his wetsuit on, waiting to be called...

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    Without wishing to stray into the area of climate change, we have noticed a pattern in the last few years of lousy weather in the Med during Spring accompanied by settled weather in the UK. We always book Easter week off to go to the boat in the Med but more often than not we have delayed going like this year or cut short our trip like last year or even cancelled altogether as we have done in previous years. It seems these days that Med weather doesnt settle down until its well into May and conversely in the UK, the rest of the summer is often a washout from then
    Past few years we start mid May .
    Our lift out is next week and it will be May when it goes in .Then Mrs Porto + dog arrive Mid / end of May for 2-3 weeks .

Having said that it easy now we are retired and sans enfants .I have served my time btw school holiday wise .
    Our season is compressed from May to mid Oct , so I donít feel are loosing out starting late .

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    Our season is compressed from May to mid Oct , so I don’t feel are loosing out starting late .
    Wise. Its too early to expect settled weather in April

I managed to free the drive from the rope, and retie it to the Quay, but there a couple of feet of rope wrapped round the shaft in between the two props (duoprop) and in between the front prop and the drive casing, which are wedged solid and won't come out. It'll have to come out of the water and have the props removed to sort it out I think.

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    Wise. Its too early to expect settled weather in April
    +1.
    This will be our 14th season in S Sardinia, and usually we didn't even put the boat back in the water before the end of May.
    Though maybe we're also spoilt by the fact that afterwards the season is usually fantastic till the end of Oct...

Quote Originally Posted by julians View Post
    It'll have to come out of the water and have the props removed to sort it out I think.
    That's probably a good idea anyway.
    A few years ago, a friend of mine with an IPS boat (hence with similar duoprop setup, even if I suppose you are talking of an outdrive).
    He's a diver, and managed to remove all bits of rope that were stuck in between the props.
    Apparently all went well, if it weren't that he thought (luckily!) to check the oil after a couple of days, and found clear signs of emulsion with water.
    On top of needing to lift the boat, he had to replace several damaged shaft seals.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast