Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 'Sta-Loc' fitting problem

I've just bought a 7mm 'Sta-Loc' fork from a supplier in the UK (advertised as Sta-loc). This was about 10% cheaper than the nearest competitor, although still expensive. This came in an unlabelled, clear plastic bag, with no instructions. I have read that the fittings are supplied with instructions. There are no markings on the cone either, which seems a bit odd to me. I am now trying to fit this damn thing and it is proving extremely difficult. Basically, whatever I do, the cone is always forced out over the inner core when I try to wrap the outer wires. I am now wondering whether what I have is a genuine Sta-Loc, or some 'cheap' immitation. Anyone had a similar experience?

Default Re: 'Sta-Loc' fitting problem

Lots of fitting instructions images and videos online.
    I used an artery clamp at the bottom of the inner core to hold the cone in place while wrapping the outer wires.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Yes, I've watched several videos and read several accounts, including on forums where people have been having problems. One of my main concerns is whether this is a genuine fitting or not. I'll try the artery clamp idea.

Hi Steve I think the important things are make sure the end of the wire is cut square leave enough I think it's 3mm past the end of the cone.Wedge the cone into the fitting so it's effectively held then screw the fitting together and allow the former to bend the outer wires into place. Youve probably read all the instructions watched the videos etc undo the fitting and check it's done up right. I think it's prefferable to screw the part that contains the former to the fitting rather than the other way around if that makes sense

Hi Chewbacca
    The problem is, is that this is exactly what I am doing, but the cone just gets pushed off as soon as I move the threaded part of the fitting towards the wire end. Even if I try to forcibly hold it in place. Also, I am making sure that the wire does not fall into the split in the cone. Seems to me, that something is amiss somewhere.

Try giving the cone a squeeze with some pliers once it's in place. Are you sure it's the right size for your rigging wire?

If its a fake then it may be like one I bought recently. The cones just squash the wire frm the outside.

I was told that (by the people at Sta-Loc) that this must NEVER be done, although I have heard of some riggers doing this. I measured the rigging with a vernier gauge before ordering, so it should be OK. The cone seems to fit on very easily. Maybe too easily......

What did the fake look like? The one I have bought looks like it is very good quality. I think it is the genuine article, but came in a plain plastic bag, with no instructions. This worries me. Where did you buy yours?

What about using a drop of loctite or superglue on the cone to hold it once over?
    David
    Red Fox 226

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast