Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Battery Equilization Charge?

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Sorry if you think I'm banging on about anything, from your post it seemed to suggest that there is a correlation between relative SG between cells and if all the desulfation that will take place had taken place during equalization. If so that's really handy info to know and well worth having a dig to see if that is a accurate indicator.

Nothing to show that this is actually the case unfortunately.
    Please see my edit to post #17, done before I'd seen posts 18 to 20.
    (And thanks, VicS for the chemist's input in #20.)
    All epigrams are false

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    I don't know what the mechanism of this stratification would be. A container of diluted sulfuric acid just standing undisturbed will not "stratify". The opposite more likely to be the case.
    Topping up? Quite substantial on liveaboards in hot climates. (It certainly makes a big difference to before and after SG readings.)

Incidentally, this is what Rolls Technical Support has to say on the subject. (Although I have to say I am, in a non-chemists way, somewhat distrustful of the separation process they describe):
    "Rolls deep cycle lead acid batteries contains electrolyte with varying concentrations of water and acid (1.265, 1.250). A battery resting idle for long periods of time will often result in a separation of water and acid into distinct layers. The water remains at to the top and the acid sinking to the bottom of the cell. This difference in acid concentration can lead to greater corrosion of the bottom half of the plates and possible cell failure.

To prevent stratification, frequent charging and discharging is recommended to maintain a proper mix of electrolyte."
    Last edited by macd; 18-04-19 at 12:41.
    All epigrams are false

Sulfation will lead to a reduction in specific gravity because the sulfuric acid in the electrolyte will be converted to lead sulfate. Desulphation should then result in an increase in overall SG but ordinary measurements will be complicated by any stratification which had also occurred although I don't know what the mechanism of this stratification would be. A container of diluted sulfuric acid just standing undisturbed will not "stratify". The opposite more likely to be the case.
    It is not the acid, but the active material in the plates that is in solution.

Brian
    Kddpowercentre VASR charge

Quote Originally Posted by halcyon View Post

Brian
    The active material in the plates that is in solution is what ?

Quote Originally Posted by macd View Post
    Please see my edit to post #17, done before I'd seen posts 18 to 20.
    (And thanks, VicS for the chemist's input in #20.)
    Yes, no evidence to support "SG between cells as in indication that no more desulfaction will occur". Given the very small (hopefully) percentage of material involved & the other variables plus lack of precision in measuring SG it would seem a bit wishful thinking unfortunately.

Maybe "stop when SG stops changing " might not be the best advice despite what the ever cautious trojan suggest.

All epigrams are false

The active material in the plates that is in solution is what ?
    The electrolyte.

Brian
    Kddpowercentre VASR charge

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Maybe "stop when SG stops changing " might not be the best advice despite what the ever cautious trojan suggest.
    Rolls also suggests that cessation of equalization should be related to SG ceiling, although less conservatively than Trojan. And, as said, Rolls also regards equalization as a remedy specific for sulphation and not stratification. Rolls + Trojan v GHA? Tough one.
    All epigrams are false

Given that SG is such a blunt instrument would monitoring current going into the battery tell you much when equalizing?

Or does anyone even know? Must be hard to quantify - equalize, temperature controlled 20h discharge, repeat... etc....

The electrolyte.
    All epigrams are false

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast