Thread: Water buoy

Default Water buoy

Years ago my daughter gave me one of those floating key rings, it and a spare key have resided in the gas locker most of the time since, this afternoon while sorting out boat keys, the fob went off and expelled a 10cm. dia. orange balloon, inside was a flashing red led. Cut the balloon off the fob and then cut the tiny flashing light out of the balloon and left it flashing brightly in the kitchen, 5 hours later it is still flashing, still regular and still bright.
    Must say I had regarded the gadget as just one of the gimmicks that folk buy for yachties but I am impressed by its durability and in particular by the brightness and longevity of the flashing light. So if you fall overboard with your key fob there is a good chance that it might be rescued and if you are starting a brothel it will be useful there too.

Default Re: Water buoy

Did it get water on it to set it off .... or did it just spontaneously expand in the dry? The latter would be worrying as mine is often sitting in my pocket whilst I sit in restaurants etc.

Richard

I had one 5 or 6 years ago. Like yours bought as a present for me. It went off whilst laid on the chart table. No water near it but it was over 40 degrees c at the time. I put it down to the heat but never bothered getting another one. Just use a cheap floating foam keyring now.

You saw the whole of the balloon?

Quote Originally Posted by laika View Post
    You saw the whole of the balloon?
    Possibly not ..... but he certainly saw the flashes rather than the plan.

Richard

Still flashing away at 07-30. that is over 16 hours now.

My grandchildren has some ordinary party balloons recently with a flashing LED inside.
    They flashed for about 5 days continuous, even after the balloons had gone down.
    Geoff. C.: Galvanizer and anchor manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Did it get water on it to set it off .... or did it just spontaneously expand in the dry? The latter would be worrying as mine is often sitting in my pocket whilst I sit in restaurants etc.

Richard
    That's one way of trying to impress her! Is that a water buoy in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?

On Sunday night it was still flashing but had finally expired by Monday morning. The device is only about 1cm. x 1/2 cm and weighs a couple of grms. so five days of continuous light emission is quite impressive. Clever folk these Chinese.