Default Marine(?) type water heater resistor

The resistor of the water heater at my boat passed away. I took it out and have another one done at the same size and capacity. When a technician saw it at the marina in the weekend, he mixed up my mind. He said that what I have had manufactured is not marine type (actually it was 316 grade), and that it should have had an anode, and furthermore if I had used it, there would be electric shock danger during shower etc. Now I am a bit confused. I made a search on google to see how a "marine type resistor" should be but, was not able to find out anything special. There is a "leakage current relay" which I took out from the old one and installed to the new one. I didn't see any anode at the old one, and don't know how to put on one to the new one. Actually I don't know if there should really be an anode on the resistor. I don't want neither my guests nor myself to have an electric shock. I will be grateful for any inputs.

Thanks.

Default Re: Marine(?) type water heater resistor

Eren, this is strange story,
    are you talking about a water boiler ?
    afaik,
    the only specialty on a marine specced boiler, is that the tank is made from stainless steel compared to standard steel for a domestic version.

if you found a perfectly fitting new resistor, I don"t understand why you would need a anode on it,
    neither do i understand the reason / risc of electric shock on such a device, that is made for this purpose.
    who was the engineer that gave this comment ?

if you have a earth leak / differential switch on the 230V supply,
    and the boiler is connected to ground,
    you are ok regarding electrical safety,

are you on the boat in Tivat ?
    I'll be around on 28/4

Quote Originally Posted by BartW View Post
    afaik,
    the only specialty on a marine specced boiler, is that the tank is made from stainless steel compared to standard steel for a domestic version.

if you found a perfectly fitting new resistor, I don"t understand why you would need a anode on it,
    neither do i understand the reason / risc of electric shock on such a device, that is made for this purpose.

I'll be around on 28/4
    +1

Eren, sounds like the guy wanted to sell you something much more expensive and was p1ssed off you bought one cheap

you are talking about the heating element of a hot water tank, nothing special in it I can think of!

V.

Quote Originally Posted by vas View Post
    +1

Eren, sounds like the guy wanted to sell you something much more expensive and was p1ssed off you bought one cheap

you are talking about the heating element of a hot water tank, nothing special in it I can think of!

V.
    How well you described it!!

Yes, he had offered the part to me for 15 times more than my cost. But when it comes to human safety, I was worried and wanted to check with the forum. Bart/Vas, thanks a lot for your information.

Quote Originally Posted by BartW View Post
    afaik,

I'll be around on 28/4
    Hi Bart,

I will be there by May 5-8. Will you be there with own boat or just will be visiting?

There are 2 new marinas there now, Luscica Bay and Portonovi. Porto Montenegro is a slightly less occupied now.

Quote Originally Posted by Eren View Post
    Hi Bart,

I will be there by May 5-8. Will you be there with own boat or just will be visiting?

There are 2 new marinas there now, Luscica Bay and Portonovi. Porto Montenegro is a slightly less occupied now.

we are staying a long weekend 27-29/4 in Cavtat,
    and daytrip to Tivat by car, for meeting with our new Crew girl ;-)

yes I know about Luscica and Portonovi, I haven't seen them since they are open,
    we might stop in Portonovi for a coffee, thanks for the pointer
    Luscica is less interesting i think

Luscica is really not interesting (by the way almost half price of PM). Portonovi is better and is opening in May (20% reaper than PM).