Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Does anybody have any experience of Duogen?

I am convinced that hydro generation of electricity is the solution to my future power needs. I love the lines of Watt and Sea, but came across Duogen [https://eclectic-energy.co.uk/product-category/duogen/] while does not look as elegant it gives me hydroelectric when underway and a wind generator while at anchor.

Does anybody have any experience of using the kit. Price wise it is about the same as Watt and Sea.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

Default Re: Does anybody have any experience of Duogen?

The price, wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    I am convinced that hydro generation of electricity is the solution to my future power needs. I love the lines of Watt and Sea, but came across Duogen [https://eclectic-energy.co.uk/product-category/duogen/] while does not look as elegant it gives me hydroelectric when underway and a wind generator while at anchor.

Does anybody have any experience of using the kit. Price wise it is about the same as Watt and Sea.
    Friends had one and seemed pleased with it, though a couple of bits broke. However, they used it on ocean passages in addition to solar as shading could be an issue under full sail.

It makes more sense to pack in as much solar as possible for shorter cruises with stretches at anchor. Wind is expensive to install and will usually be outperformed by solar for a variety of reasons (avg. winds strength, mechanical efficiency, physics etc.). Duo-gen only makes sense after you have maxed out on solar and when long passages (days/weeks) are common.

Friends had a duogen we had an Auqair 100. But I'm not sure they are still making them.

In trade wind sailing using the towed generator at 6 -7 knts we had enough power to run everything and keep batteries charged, didn't need any other power source for an Atlantic crossing. At anchor converted to wind it gave 6 or 7 Amps in 15-20knts and best thing it was quiet hoisted over the boom from the back stay. Duogen like other wind gens end up being near the cockpit and some can be noisy. Sadly it looks like Ampair don't exist any more but someone is selling their submersible gen Ampair UW100.
    quicKutter rope cutter, shaft and rudder bearings
    www.h4marine.com

We have had one for 14 years. Its done three Atlantic crossings and a lot more besides. On fast passages we make over 200amp hrs per day in water mode. 250 amp in 24hrs is the maximum we have achieved. We have 300w of solar whilst on passage and with this we have fully charged batteries whilst at sea.
    In wind mode it makes between 2 and 4 amps per hour typically in the places we tend to anchor. The air blades are the same as the D400 wind turbine. We have had quite a few parts replaced over the years but ours is a mk1. They have improved the design, now on mk3, so I expect the later unit to be more robust. We had water in ours but the newer ones have a re-designed alternator case that look better.
    I would have another one and would choose it over the Watt and Sea as we spend so much time at anchor the wind turbine is a good option here in the Caribbean. I think if you have a catamaran with acres of space for solar you probably dont need anything but solar but we don't have that kind of space.

I have seen a few Duogens in the Caribbean. Most are broken.
    Monkey patching programmer [retired ]

Quote Originally Posted by TQA View Post
    Well mine is going round and so is the one on the boat next to me. I havent come across any broken ones yet but Grenada is where boats and sailors go to die in the Caribbean

Quote Originally Posted by TQA View Post
    Did you see any Watt and Sea? Were they operational or FUBAR?
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Did you see any Watt and Sea? Were they operational or FUBAR?
    You cant tell with a Watt and Sea, they are under water.......

UK and NW Caribbean, Belize Mexico & Guatemala

I also have a Mark 1 Duogen dating back to 2004, probably a Mark 1 now as things have been upgraded. It does what is says on the tin and is much quieter than the Air Marine ones that go supersonic above 22 knots. I am on my second set of bearing and seals but mine has had a tough life.

The after sales service is better than excellent.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast