Thread: Halls of Walton

Default Halls of Walton

A chum has just had some work done by them and sent me this email
    I thought it was worth posting here as we've had some very discouraging experiences down here on the Medway

"I first contacted Trevor (Halls) in January 2019 to see if I could arrange for some stainless steel work on my boat Latitudes. My request to run steel from my existing radar post to form a gantry to mount additional solar panels was met with a can do attitude. I requested that Latitudes be with the boatyard for a week or two while the steel and other work was carried out. I contacted a number of individuals at Halls to confirm my plans to sail from Rochester to Walton-on-the-Naze when the weather improved and I had the time. We agreed sometime between mid-March and mid-April was likely. Once dates were confirmed I sailed to the boat yard and work commenced much as arranged. Neap tides caused a little delay but soon Latitudes was in the comfortable and well served Walton Yacht Basin. Just 50 yards away was the Walton & Frinton Yacht club where I met a friendly, helpful community, good beer and hot food (amply sampled). I meet with many individuals at Halls boat yard and was pleasantly surprised to find that not only were they all very knowledgeable but were also friendly and approachable.

The work was to build and brace a Gantry for solar panels, to run hot air ducting 5 metres from in the depths of the cockpit locker to the V berth, to fit mid cleats, and to extend the bow roller steel plates and build a brace to the stem to support a new second furling system.

I was asked by a friend (and it will be the topic of conversation with many more as I will make the point of recommending Halls) was the work done well, on time and on budget? In general I would say yes. It is very hard to find marine services that really care about workmanship, customer service, commitment to the expectations of timescales and keeping within budgets. Halls were refreshing on all these points, they were not perfect and I'm not sure that "Perfection exists" however, when compared to many boat yards that I have used they are a cut above the rest and a delight to work with.

Frank Halls & Son Ltd
    29-32 Mill Lane
    Walton-on-the-Naze

Essex
    CO14 8PF

So if Halls should need a happy customer to refer other prospective customers to, then I would certainly be willing, Howard Kember"

Default Re: Halls of Walton

Would totally agree. Halls work is always very good & reasonably priced. Had my mast split apart by them, a curved SS A frame for my Crabber, and they've just done rudder fittings for my bawley yacht.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Yes. Excellent people. A small plea: if you are a new customer do keep in mind that Halls are that now rare thing, a traditional boatyard that is now in the fourth generation of family ownership. They have their own ways of going about things, and in my experience they are usually right!
    Last edited by Minn; 22-04-19 at 11:38.

Thumbs up Re: Halls of Walton

Quote Originally Posted by Spuddy View Post
    A chum has just had some work done by them and sent me this email
    I thought it was worth posting here as we've had some very discouraging experiences down here on the Medway

"I first contacted Trevor (Halls) in January 2019 to see if I could arrange for some stainless steel work on my boat Latitudes. My request to run steel from my existing radar post to form a gantry to mount additional solar panels was met with a can do attitude. I requested that Latitudes be with the boatyard for a week or two while the steel and other work was carried out. I contacted a number of individuals at Halls to confirm my plans to sail from Rochester to Walton-on-the-Naze when the weather improved and I had the time. We agreed sometime between mid-March and mid-April was likely. Once dates were confirmed I sailed to the boat yard and work commenced much as arranged. Neap tides caused a little delay but soon Latitudes was in the comfortable and well served Walton Yacht Basin. Just 50 yards away was the Walton & Frinton Yacht club where I met a friendly, helpful community, good beer and hot food (amply sampled). I meet with many individuals at Halls boat yard and was pleasantly surprised to find that not only were they all very knowledgeable but were also friendly and approachable.

The work was to build and brace a Gantry for solar panels, to run hot air ducting 5 metres from in the depths of the cockpit locker to the V berth, to fit mid cleats, and to extend the bow roller steel plates and build a brace to the stem to support a new second furling system.

I was asked by a friend (and it will be the topic of conversation with many more as I will make the point of recommending Halls) was the work done well, on time and on budget? In general I would say yes. It is very hard to find marine services that really care about workmanship, customer service, commitment to the expectations of timescales and keeping within budgets. Halls were refreshing on all these points, they were not perfect and I'm not sure that "Perfection exists" however, when compared to many boat yards that I have used they are a cut above the rest and a delight to work with.

Frank Halls & Son Ltd
    29-32 Mill Lane
    Walton-on-the-Naze

Essex
    CO14 8PF

So if Halls should need a happy customer to refer other prospective customers to, then I would certainly be willing, Howard Kember"
    ✔️ My winter storage, with The Walton Yacht Haven (‘ The Pond’) my summer home port for the past decade. A really nice, genuine guy, Trevor Hall is the cox of the Walton Lifeboat.

https://www.frankhalls.com/

In passing, it is only fair to mention Bedwells, Halls sister boat yard is also very impressive and Richard (another lifeboat man) and Steve are equally helpful. Bedwells manages access to the The Pond.

https://marinas.com/view/marina/x1cr...United_Kingdom

At Walton were are well served by both of these clubs.

Finally, although having the most modern club house on the East Coast, next year the Walton and Frinton Yacht Club (W&FYC) will be celebrating it’s centenary. Close to the town centre, with it’s new M&S and Aldi outlets and with the opportunity to remain afloat at all states of the tide, The Pond offers a good stop over point. But do book with Bedwells to ensure the ‘cat flap’ will be open when you pitch up.

ps A member of the W&FC, than paying my bills promptly, I have no financial interest in these yards!
    Last edited by nortada; 23-04-19 at 07:10.
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿Neither a Remainer or a Leaver be. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst✔️

I think that might be where John had his rudder repaired