Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Prestige 500 fly IPS 600 at Displacement speed

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    if one engine is not running and the prop is left to freewheel, it is critical to keep an eye on gearbox oil temp and if it exceeds 80degC, engage gear to stop the prop freewheeling even though this will cause more drag
    Did you ever try that, M? I suspect that on your boat, if one engine is disabled for any reason, you actually can't engage its gear.
    I'm non pretending to know better than Ferretti in general, but it wouldn't be the first time that I see weird manual instructions...

Here is a Boat Test report for the Prestige 500 with a detailed record of fuel consumption during their sea trial.

https://www.boattest.com/review/pres...chts/2486_500s
    Here is a useful guide to Barbados - http://www.doyleguides.com/barbados/

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Did you ever try that, M? I suspect that on your boat, if one engine is disabled for any reason, you actually can't engage its gear.
    I'm non pretending to know better than Ferretti in general, but it wouldn't be the first time that I see weird manual instructions...
    Yes I suspect that too but this is what the manual says!

In case one engine stops due to a failure and the gear box is in idle position, during navigation keep constantly an eye on the oil temperature of the gear box connected with the failed system.
    The propeller shaft is kept rotating thanks to the water flow through the propeller, under these conditions also some parts of the gearbox are kept rotating.
    Should the temperature increase excessively over 80 įC, lock the propeller shaft by engaging the gearbox: in this way the resistance will be higher, because the gearbox is jammed, but oil will not overheat.

Alternate engines every couple of hours? Should alleviate this?
    Free supercharging Tesla referral code http://ts.la/jez9763

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    Two aspects need splitting out and treating separately.
    Over fuelling with analogue delivered fuel because the things works on a mech cam and plunger optimised for the correct range of operation .
    Lower than this and a slight or moderate excess fuel goes slightly unburnt and gum forms that sticks to the honing and hence the glazing .
    Modern CR pulse delivered fuel eliminates this as just the correct amount is delivered across the whole range inc 1000 rpm or what ever .Hence VP - both the forumite and factory are correct .

How ever the Second tier of thought is agglomeration , the formation and mitigating factors decreasing this .
    Theses no getting round low Exhaust Gas Temps at 1000 rpm and excess properly burnt contents even with CR ( the right fuel dose ) .This partial burnt ( cos itís not high enough temp basically) stuff is the real wear stuff short of adding pumice to your oil - only joking folks

What sort of bores do you have ?
    What sort of rings ?
    Whatís your oil like ?
    Whatís your oil change Fq ?

They say minimum agglomeration occurs at around 550 / 630 EGT .
    For reference for me thatís N of 1750 rpm .
    1000 rpm and it plummets to 2-300 IRCís deemed too low .

Then mix in how long are you gonna keep it 1000 hrs ,3000 hrs 10,000 hrs .
    If running at 1000 rpm predominantly 1/2 s the engine life from say 20000 to 10000 hrs so what ?
    How ever if issues start to creep in at say an easily a achievable say 1500 hrs due to not so resilient liner material or not so resistant theses days rings ........ Longish oil Fq change intervals etc etc.

Just make an informed choice.
    Thanks for this, all understood (ish!). I suspect that in reality more than a third of my engine hours are spent at 'normal' 1800 rpm type levels and also I change engine oil each season, which equates to around every 200/250 hours (which I imagine is pretty frequently relative to the frequency with which these engines' oil is changed in some of other applications they're found in (buses etc)).

Can't really answer the question about the type of bores and rings I have (!) but at a boat show a few years ago the chaps on the Finnings stand said that if I start with a fast blast to get temps up and then follow the 20 mins at 1800 rpm every two hours routine, all will be good with the engines. But that if I didn't follow this regime I might be storing a problem for the future, so it seems this is something that needs to be managed....

1400 miles at 8 knots is 175 hours running.

More to the point do you really want to do 175 hours at displacement speeds on a planning hull? I would not. It will be boring slow and uncomfortable not to mention given the age of the boat probably doubling its engine hours.

One engine on a twin usually runs the power steering and on one engine they don’t track straight.

I would use it as it’s designed speed or stick it on a ship / truck.

I agree with jrudge that to plan to do 175 hours at displacement speed is a big call - even on the basis of doing, say 25% at planing speed, with inevitable weather delays that's likely to take two or three weeks. Personally I'd either stick it on a low loader (which will probably work out cheaper) or, depending on how much time you can free up, would take a few weeks to get it part of the way then leave it in a safe marina and fly back to do the next leg. Perfect way to spend the autumn months and a better bet than cruising past Corsica, Elba, Sardinia, Amalfi, Aeolians, etc etc etc with having a bit of time to enjoy them!! But obviously that plan might not suit your situation...

Quote Originally Posted by MedMilo View Post
    I change engine oil each season, which equates to around every 200/250 hours (which I imagine is pretty frequently relative to the frequency with which these engines' oil is changed in some of other applications they're found in (buses etc)).

Can't really answer the question about the type of bores and rings ...
    I know I was just highlighting and hopefully simultaneously eliminating the ď Ive ran mine at diddly squat rpm since time began ď response .This is because thereís too many variables in the actual materials and construction of each engine .
    Variables like on that list you donít know about as an owner .

Oil - the oil should be changed annually because the oil's additive package deteriorates over time and gets further used up holding contaminants in suspension. This is not related to engine operation (mileage) just time.

We get this regularly in classic car forums today , the oil change Fq .Same answer .Its not the hrs or mileage, itís not the hammering of the long chain molecules ie the lubrication property of low use age - your 250 hrs compared to a bus / truck itís the additive package.Thinking about it thereís gonna be more crap held in suspension with low running temps so the swing o meter should go to more Fq changes .
    Realise we not talking about a 2 x5 L picked off a self at holfords like a car .

Back to the Op
    If you wind up doing a long slow D speed then change the engine oil .
    Just as a similar story I factored in Del trips costs when hunting , fuel at av cruise, flights and even a skipper into the buying equation.
    What worried me was not the fuel bill Naples / Cannes it was the sustainability. Will it last ? Is ought on this new to me boat gonna knacker ?
    We had done a significant amount of yard prep agreed at purchase, stuff like fresh lift and antifoul , anodes , in the ER filters replaced etc .
    We just set cruise at 26/27 knots all the way an easy 1750 and something rpm backing down in a beam on F8 to 1650 as we cross from Elba to Corsica, wind coming up from the S .We weíre running parallel to the wave and either sitting in a valley or riding on a ridge .
    D speed would have been awful and basically untenable.

A cautionary tale a friend of mine bought a IPS 600 boat last Autumn from a reputable broker .It was a stock boat located in Roma .He is based in Cannes and part of the negotiations was they ( dealer / broker ) deliver it .
    A pod packed up near Pisa and it spent the winter thereís awaiting VP and others to fix it .Ä25000 later in bills - shown to my mate btw it arrived Mid Feb .Dealer / Broker stud the bill under a 3 month warranty thingy .
    It had 125 hrs when he bought it and was fully serviced etc etc with a nice history file .
    Water got in the gears apparently told .

So is yours ever had a 10 hr day ?

Thanks so much for all the input, really appreciate everyoneís wise wisdom. Sadly this trip will not be a long cruising one as I only have 2.5 weeks to do the trip. I donít plan to go at displacement speed the whole way, I was thinking more for the odd overnight run where refueling might be an issue, or where sea conditions dictate slower running. We are planning a two week trip in France and Corsica in June/July before this trip. Next year the aim is to do a four month trip along Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, Slovenia and Greece depending how far we get.

‘We jus set cruise at 26/27 knots all the way an easy 1750 and something rpm backing down in a beam on F8 to 1650 as we cross from Elba to Corsica, wind coming up from the S .We we’re running parallel to the wave and either sitting in a valley or riding on a ridge .
    D speed would have been awful and basically untenable’

Wow, how long were you beam on in a force 8? That’s pretty impressive! 25’ of that kind of sea/swell is bad enough from behind but from the side would be pretty scary. Planing atop that takes some balls - we had 20’ Breaking wakes once from the side but I put them behind us and waited for things to calm down.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast