Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Prestige 500 fly IPS 600 at Displacement speed

Quote Originally Posted by Nigelpickin View Post
    Wow, how long were you beam on in a force 8? Thatís pretty impressive! 25í of that kind of sea/swell is bad enough from behind but from the side would be pretty scary. Planing atop that takes some balls - we had 20í Breaking wakes once from the side but I put them behind us and waited for things to calm down.
    Its an Itama, the best boat in the world

‘We jus set cruise at 26/27 knots all the way an easy 1750 and something rpm backing down in a beam on F8 to 1650 as we cross from Elba to Corsica, wind coming up from the S .We we’re running parallel to the wave and either sitting in a valley or riding on a ridge .
    D speed would have been awful and basically untenable’

Wow, how long were you beam on in a force 8? That’s pretty impressive! 25’ of that kind of sea/swell is bad enough from behind but from the side would be pretty scary. Planing atop that takes some balls - we had 20’ Breaking wakes once from the side but I put them behind us and waited for things to calm down.
    Correct it was scary on several levels .
    - The vis , when you are in a trough you can’t see to port or stb and we were crossing a busy Med shipping / ferry lane between Elba - Corsica .
    - water breaking , filled the cockpit every time , so the scuppers were well excerised .
    - instruments / dash , we had to protect it by putting the cover on .So the only nav reference was the actually the wave Dir .
    With the odd peak under the cover at the instruments.
    - broaching / capsize risk , if we lost power I worried we would tip over if we lost the dynamic fwd stability effect of planing

On the other hand it’s about a good 2hrs or less to cross to be shelter of the cliff of N Corsica
    We had a Del skipper a lad in his twenties as it happens worked for the broker ( mostly an Itama Broker ) .
    Apart from ships nobody else out .
    We used the engines to lay the wet clothes to dry that evening .Forgot to rinse the salt water off so they were like cardboard next day
    The only pic I dared to risk soaking my phone on is this .Does not really do it justice but illustrates the constant waves breaking over the port beam .
    C4DAA6F8-B86F-456F-991B-A09BB60A2FFF.jpeg

It’s true there no such thing as waterproof sailing garments , water gets up your cuffs down your neck etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    The only pic I dared to risk soaking my phone on is this
    I know I'll regret saying this, but do you seriously hope that anyone with just the slightest boating experience can believe that a wake trail remains flat and straight like that for hundreds of meters behind the boat in F8 - i.e. with sustained 5m waves, and up to 7m+ peaks?
    REALLY?

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    I know I'll regret saying this, but do you seriously hope that anyone with just the slightest boating experience can believe that a wake trail remains flat and straight like that for hundreds of meters behind the boat in F8 - i.e. with sustained 5m waves, and up to 7m+ peaks?
    REALLY?

You know that questioning a mans account of the Beaufort conditions is akin to questioning how big the fish that got away really was.....

Not sure if Porto has more balls for being out in a force 8 in a speed boat or for posting that picture as evidence!

REALLY?
    You are forgetting he was in an Itama.

Hewn out of solid dark matter and encompassing the power of Neptuneís fist there is no sea it canít flatten, no storm and canít cruise through at 30 knots. Just because your stupid boat would have been blown asunder remember they are not all the same. Nay, even normal physics doesnít apply to an Itama, as even though they be just a plastic V Hull, they also be not...
    Free supercharging Tesla referral code http://ts.la/jez9763

Is the Itama the motor boat equivalent of the Anderson 22 in the sailing world?

REALLY?
    Wake trail is less than 2 boat lengths. The other stuff off to the R hs of the pic are a few white horses .We are not turning we are running straight in fact slightly to port the sea is moving us to stb in a northern Dir .
    Did not want to miss N Corsica .
    Pics never do sea state justice I did warn you all .
    We drove up diagonally up the side of the slopes , hovered on top then dropped down the other side .
    Wave height was bigger than the boat ,for bigger we just disappeared blind into throughs held it’s there conscious if stayed in a trough too long we were constantly being swept N .
    So we had to ride up ,sit on top and then drop into the next one on the port side .
    Fortunately you are never really out of land sight twixt Elba / Corsica so ( big cliff / mountains etc ) so it was easy to see and mitigate the XTE .

Sorry it’s a duff pic lads . But as you see the waves braking over the port side constantly filling the cockpit .
    That’s a tail end at the stern the ones on the bow ,mid sections were bigger .
    I recall my mate actually tied himself to the table pedestal.
    The skipper ( we were up before dawn ) hence the poor light as we slipped in darkness from Punta Ala , did do a passage planner thingy on his device.
    Options stay in port , run down wind head N hugging the IT mainland round to Liguria.
    Or nip W for bit , passing through to better seas between Corsica and Cannes .
    The storm was passing up the sea between Sardinia / Corsica and heading NE into the corner of the Liguria.
    Think that guy who lost his squadron 58 off a ship somewhere in that sea and think Rapillo storms last Nov .

My Del skipper was from Sardinia, based in Roma he shuttles boats across those waters for a living .

Knows the local trends / weather patterns .
    Wind whips up between IT mainland and the big islands ,it’s funnelled by the Alps as they drop into to the sea @ Menton and heads across the IT mainland over Piedmont often bashing Portofino / Rapillo in the NE corner of Liguria.
    Portofino is a natural protective inlet for a reason .This wind can’t hit it as it’s entrance is E , it’s totally sheltered .

It was his call .

PF, you are really putting me in trouble, because I don't know where to start.
    But I feel obliged to at least try to keep the amount of wrong information this forum is plagued with lately within reasonable limits.

To start with, two days ago I saw the Alps from an airplane, and I can confirm that they still are where the maps say they are.
    So, don't worry folks, there's no way a southern wind in the Med can be funneled through the Alps, just in case anyone is wondering.

The storm you mentioned (which was last Oct btw, not Nov) is a good example of that, blowing straight from southern Italy with a fetch of several hundreds on Nm. And on top wiping away a Sq58 from the deck of a ship and destroying Porto Carlo Riva, it also forced 600 feet ferries connecting Sardinia with mainland to stay put.
    I hope you are not suggesting that the conditions of your crossing were remotely comparable, because that would be beyond a joke.

It's interesting to read that your mate tied himself to the table pedestal, after you dismissed what I told in Scala thread about P boats REALLY meant for high speed in rough conditions (i.e., NOT Itamas), which are equipped with suspension seats and 4pt harness.
    Regardless, that's not my idea of boating for pleasure, and I suspect to be in good company on this.

Last but not least, let's talk of your F8 pic.

Firstly, if what can be seen in the right side is what you call a breaking wave, well, obviously you've ever seen a wave breaking over the deck, because that's just spray, no matter how much of it (cue: the colour).
    Many years ago, I was caught in a head sea with no chances to escape, and for a good couple of hours I had at least one out of 4 or 5 waves flooding the deck with green water, even at 6kts or so. Trust me, I would have been quite happy if the type of water breaking onboard were remotely comparable to what can be seen in your pic - and it was just a F6 sea, albeit strengthening to F7.
    No pics, sorry - that was the very last of my thoughts.
    But we neither had to tie ourselves anywhere, nor we reached our destination completely soaked, and forgive me if to me this is preferable to being able to keep bashing the waves at P speed.

Secondly, 2 boat lengths of wake trial?!? In your memories, maybe.
    Bad as it is, your pic tells a totally different story. The visible trail stretches almost to the horizon, and even if it's impossible to tell exactly its length, I have zero doubts that it takes three digits (in meters, obviously) to measure it.
    Anyway, I'll tell you what: let's leave to anyone reading this the freedom to draw their own conclusions.
    What I can provide is a bit of comparison, with a video I already posted in the past.
    The 20 seconds or so starting from 0:30 show how the trail looks like, in a F5 following sea.
    Mind, such irregular trail was left by a boat whose track was straight as an arrow, with the a/p never moving the rudders by more than a few degrees either side, and I was helding the mobile with one hand, just to give an idea of the stability.
    Oh, and the bow waves that you see in the video are still what I would call spray - i.e. laughable, in comparison to the green water I previously mentioned.

Obviously, I'm not expecting you to agree with anything I'm saying.
    But you'd better not expect us to believe in fairy tales, either.

Not sure if Porto has more balls for being out in a force 8 in a speed boat or for posting that picture as evidence!
    Agreed wholeheartedly. This is something I must concede to PF.

Quote Originally Posted by Bajansailor View Post
    Is the Itama the motor boat equivalent of the Anderson 22 in the sailing world?
    Oh no don't mention the Anderson 22 our neighbour has one in the garden

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast