Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Prestige 500 fly IPS 600 at Displacement speed

MapishM
    You are just arguing for arguments sake .
    That pic as I repeat is not a good one or truly represented the conditions. Understandably the phone is pointing backwards quickly while I thought it “ safe “ to risk soaking it .
    That’s a take end spray of wave that basically flooded the cockpit .Remember we are running @26 knots and they are hitting / breaking over the beam .Indeed due to the speed I suspect it actually help decrease the inflow mostly .
    As said unfortunately not illustrated we disappeared in troughs. Big troughs though .No AP on as the skipper needed to more or less stay parallel to the massive waves , and when appropriate turn to port and diagonally ride up a wave to drop into the next trough or sit it on top of peak .
    I’d say the distance between them was estimate about 3 boat L so 45 M or so and the H way over the boat H , Ok it’s a low boat but est 5/7 M .
    The tops white horses and spray everywhere.
    Your F5 vid is a nothing wave H wise btw in my book .A walk in the park .Again filming does not really capture it .But your boat is not disappearing between the wave you can see out .

It got a lot worse than that pic .
    Mapish you miss understood the table tying thing , it’s not comfort no need for silly suspension seats as the ride was soft it was to prevent being washed overboard by a even bigger wave than we were getting coming in .
    There was no “ wave bashing “ ad you say remember we are running parallel to the wave s in the valleys and on the ridges .Its just they start to break / curl on the crests and those would inadvertently tip / spill over the cockpit side glass or off the bow 1/4 ( if we steered it too for to port attempting to ride up a hill ) and basically fill the cockpit up soaking us in the meantime .No crashing ,no banging as said the issue nav wise was XTE , we had to keep mounting the crests as opposed to sit in one trough otherwise we would just be swept N .The huge sea as said brought on from the fetch by wind funnelled between the big islands and mainland being sucked into that land gap on Liguaria .

Unlike a sail boat we did not have harness or lines to clip on .
    The guy a friend is a very experienced ocean yacht racer , you know Cape Town to Sydney , southern ocean that kinda stuff.
    He has said for 10 days with a crew member in a body bag in the lazerette after eventually picking the body out of the sea in a mob in the southern ocean .Washed overboard .So I hope you can appreciate his personal what sounds like heightened awareness of washing over board .

For the OP the Alps drop into the sea at a Menton and the wind is often greater to the E more so as you approach the corner in Liguria, It’s often a lot more windy over there compared to W of Menton .When it does blow up its often from the S heading N .So if you where to hug that bit of coast when you turn S at the inside corner of the NE Liguria it’s on the nose as you start to head head down the side of Italy . Hugging the land does not really help as the long fetch and relative shallow water makes the wave amplitude shorter and steeper .
    A the Cinque Terra ( sp ? ) stretch after Rapillo that’s the worse part in my experience. Those tall cliffs and summer hot land make for local winds .Wave Dir is all over the place .
    Feels like a long stretch of no proper safe havens so once committed you have to do it .
    As said the macro geography seems to funnel air between the Alps on the L and the central Italian Apenines on the R .
    The Alps are a huge crescent , Think 1/ 2 moon .One tip at Menton the outer in Austria .

Alternatively nip across to N Corsica about 100 miles form anywhere on the Cote d Azur .
    It can be calm and predictable with a high degree of accuracy with weather apps etc .The NE corner of Liguria as said in my experience ( we go every year btw ) well weather apps are useless it’s so unpredictable wind / sea state wise .
    It’s shorter thus less fuel as well crossing to Corsica .
    Don’t know how you feel being out of sight of land ?
    Once you sight Corsica the N coast is worth a visit in its own right pretty places , Elba is in visual , again pretty place and from there you can hug the coast all the way down Italy .Weather / wind patterns are predictable from a passage planning POV .No nasty surprises.
    Last edited by Portofino; 21-04-19 at 07:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    Your F5 vid is a nothing wave H wise btw in my book .A walk in the park .
    My point exactly: how come the trail in your pic is flatter and longer?
    We all know by now that your boat was blessed with Lourdes water instead of champagne upon first launch, but I still find it a tad hard to believe that she can also flatten 5 to 7m waves behind her...
    Anyhow, listen, I knew from the beginning that we could have only agreed to disagree, eventually.
    As I said, let's leave to anyone bored enough to keep reading our ramblings the freedom to draw their own conclusions.
    Happy Easter.

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    My point exactly: how come the trail in your pic is flatter and longer?

Happy Easter.
    You too .

It’s was and still is a poor pic .I remember infact about a1/4 over twixt Elba/ Corse ,the worst was to come .
    Remember we weren’t flattening waves , we were riding between them having to carefully choose a spot to ride diagonally up and over to port to compensate for huge XTE .We couldn’t just sit an a valley.
    In fact it’s all flooding back ( scuse the pun ) the Del skipper tied himself to a Bimini pole as well .
    My mate was not fussed he loved it reminded him of the southern ocean .

Just digressing kit wise we discuss life rafts , flares , AIS , and other safety kit on here on occasions , but I wonder how many cary a body bag ? To store a fatality. Certainty NA in the Med .

Nigel’s probably best to follow up on that

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    Nigel’s probably best to follow up on that
    LOL - well I’ve now crossed the Atlantic 9 times by sea - 4 at the pleasure of her Majesty’s Submarine Service, 4 courtesy of the Queens Grill and once as a semi competent sailor in my plastic tubs - no body bags used thus far....I would bet, pound to a pinch of salt, that the Cunard morgue is by far the busiest...

Anyway, rough out on the ICW this morning as we left Jacksonville in gale conditions - picture does not really show it so I feel your pain Porto

Quote Originally Posted by Nigelpickin View Post
    How do the Americans get that checker board pattern on their sea?
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    How do the Americans get that checker board pattern on their sea?
    Glitch in the matrix?

Quote Originally Posted by Nigelpickin View Post
    Glitch in the matrix?
    Very good

Does that make trump “the Architect”?

Quote Originally Posted by FARSCO View Post

Does that make trump “the Architect”?

Hi Paulrackstraw, I have found some information on this:

RPM Speed Range (nm)
    1000 6.4 1387
    1500 9.0 557
    2000 11 325
    2200 12.4 293
    2400 14.5 286
    2600 16.7 262
    2800 19 257
    3000 21.5 247
    3200 24.10 241
    3400 26 232
    3570 28 218

Fuel tanks are 2 x 650l (1300l) so can work out when you'll need to fuel up.
    I'd work out where I wanted to go on the way down, work out how long I want to be on the boat, allow for weather and conditions and plan a speed accordingly.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234