Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Flares...traditional or LED?

Another question for the knowledgable masses assembled on this forum:

We are looking to change (update) our flares soon and thinking of getting a couple of LED ones, to avoid all the hassle with disposing of old flares and also the inherent risk of having explosive devices on the boat (the wife is explosive enough most of the time never mind adding to it!).

So, what is the legality ref this regarding Europe, etc, as I recall that you had to have a certain amount of flares etc, or is this outdated now and we have moved on with the times?

DTD

Default Re: Flares...traditional or LED?

The reviews of the LED flares have not been particularly complimentary. The only way that they get the range is by making the beam pretty narrow - and that then means that it must be pointing at the person who is looking for you otherwise they will not see it. Some rotate the beam to cover the full arc, but it will still be narrow in the vertical direction.

Our flare pack is now out of date and I am going to get it disposed of in a couple of weeks. We have two AIS radios on the boat plus PLBs, so I don't think I'm going to replace it with a full off-shore pack - our style of sailing does not justify it. I will buy three or four hand-held flares to help guide in a rescuer, but no rockets - they are just too difficult to safely dispose. I would not feel too bad about letting off the red hand-helds in a secluded spot on bonfire night when they expire.

Quote Originally Posted by davethedog View Post
    So, what is the legality ref this regarding Europe, etc, as I recall that you had to have a certain amount of flares etc, or is this outdated now and we have moved on with the times?DTD
    Don't know about other countries but flares (not leds) mandatory in Portugal. Lagos Navigators site has details about qty to be carried.

Should they really be called flares. The one I was shown was just a fancy light relying on line of sight and as maby says a narrow beam to boot. I will stick with flares and include rockets so as to be seen from beyond line of sight.

Quote Originally Posted by pcatterall View Post
    Should they really be called flares. The one I was shown was just a fancy light relying on line of sight and as maby says a narrow beam to boot. I will stick with flares and include rockets so as to be seen from beyond line of sight.
    You are mixing things up.
    the LED would replace a HH Red ( would you really want to let one of those off on deck ) NOT a Rocket

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry View Post
    the LED would replace a HH Red ( would you really want to let one of those off on deck )
    I've fired off a couple in earnest. Wear gloves, hold over the sea. They keep on burning if you drop them in, which is spooky as they sink.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by davethedog View Post
    Another question for the knowledgable masses assembled on this forum:

We are looking to change (update) our flares soon and thinking of getting a couple of LED ones, to avoid all the hassle with disposing of old flares and also the inherent risk of having explosive devices on the boat (the wife is explosive enough most of the time never mind adding to it!).

So, what is the legality ref this regarding Europe, etc, as I recall that you had to have a certain amount of flares etc, or is this outdated now and we have moved on with the times?

DTD
    There is no (UK or international) recognised format/flashtype/sequence of LED light that is recognised as a distress alert. Assuming you already have DSC VHF and a PLB or EPIRB, then saying to the rescuer "I'm the boat with the bright flashy light" is a vey useful addition when they are faced with an area with lots of boats and no other obvious sign of a problem, particularly if they all match the description of "I'm the white one with white sails".

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Interesting question. I know in France flares, when carried, must be in date. Next time I am over I'll ask for a friend.

Personally, I am huge fan of pyrotechnics, see my comments in the Flares again thread
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

Flares other sailors know what they are.

My sailing is limited to pottering around the Solent plus the occasional trip to Weymouth, so I've ditched my flares and have an LED "flare". I've never carried rockets, and I reckon the LED job is superior to a handheld flare as it lasts a couple of hours instead of a couple of minutes. Between the DSC VHF, and two mobile phones, I reckon I can get someone's attention, so the flare's job is only to guide them in the last mile or so.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast