Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rib Though hull Davit lifting plates

Just bought a used rib and need to relocate the front lifting wires , Iíve seen Some ribs with plates that goes through the hull and has an eye on the inside Iíve only found one place on the net that sells them called Ron hail but there £60 for two eyes and four square stainless washes I think this is pricey, ok I could make some of my own but Iím down the boat on holiday for week and want to get the job done , so anyone know where I can get some cheaper than £60 , or has anyone used a different product thanks Nick

Default Re: Rib Though hull Davit lifting plates

I'd get 50 mm dia penny washers £3 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless...-/153247609563
    Then buy the eyebolts and dome nuts lots of places £4-5 e.g. here https://www.seascrewmarine.com/m8-oa...08-c2x20177888
    £15 all in.

Toolstation also do them and they are everywhere these days.
    I am old and wise because i was young and stupid.

Thanks guys , I did forget to mention the rib is a walker bay and the hull is not made of Fiberglass itís more like a type of polypropylene do you think just a big washer will be ok in this rib or do think I will need something with more load spreading ?hence why I originally thought I needed something like this

http://www.ronhalemarine.co.uk/super...lates_and_Eyes

this but it is complete rip off apart from itís just got bigger washer itís identical to what you guys have already suggested

I need to do the same to my walker bay so very interested to see the outcome.
    Do you have the full delux consul etc?
    With the walker bay hull will sika 291 still work to deal,

Please can you update with pictures of what you do
    Free supercharging Tesla referral code http://ts.la/jez9763

Quote Originally Posted by Whitelighter View Post
    I need to do the same to my walker bay so very interested to see the outcome.
    Do you have the full delux consul etc?
    With the walker bay hull will sika 291 still work to deal,

Please can you update with pictures of what you do

Our walker bay is the 2.7 genisis ďlight oneĒ so prob lots smaller than yours ,it only weighs 50 kg but I always leave the engines on when I lift, Iíve currently only got 5hp but Iím going to try get 10/15 hp they weigh 30kg so all in its about 80kg , we had partial davit failure many Years ago so donít like to take chances , my main worry is that the hull isnít as rigid as a true grp one and if the bolt frets And makes the hole bigger , and also if the hull is made of what I suspect it to be some form of polypropylene I know that nothing sicks to that , hence why almost all sealants are in polypropylene tubes , I was hoping that if used something with a very big square washer ďlike what I put link to in my original posting ď so that the surface area of the bigger square washer with sealer underneath will act like gasket , and also the big square washer will help spread the load and stop any fretting, well thatís my therory behind it , failing that I might have to get something knocked up out of stainless that joins both the front mountings together to help add some rigidly ,

To be honest id just pay the 60 for the big plate.
    Ours is a Genesis 340 (same hull as the 310) so not much bigger than yours.
    I think where we need them the plates will be just on the water line as I want mine on the sade rather than the floor (as the floor is covered by floor plates.

Something mus stick to polyetheline - if only the stuff barnacles produce, they seem to have no problem sticking to it
    Free supercharging Tesla referral code http://ts.la/jez9763

Quote Originally Posted by Restoration man View Post

http://www.ronhalemarine.co.uk/super...lates_and_Eyes

this but it is complete rip off apart from itís just got bigger washer itís identical to what you guys have already suggested
    Perhaps it is me but we have an expensive hobby with expensive bits of kit and sixty quid for a pair of pukka lifting eyes for a RIB and outboard worth quite a bit more than that and which I really wouldnít want to see coming adrift in a seaway doesnít seem that bad to me. But maybe I have become desensitised to costs having just upgraded our electronics, installed an auto-pilot and about to have a new canopy and cockpit upholstery

On a serious note, having previously bought one or two RIBs as tenders to go on davits I have bought the bespoke lifting eyes on the basis that relative to the cost of the tender set-up the cost is insignificant and I didnít want any issues with them failing in a lumpy sea due to the forces exerted on them. The old adage ĎDon't spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar...í springs to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2 View Post
    Perhaps it is me but we have an expensive hobby with expensive bits of kit and sixty quid for a pair of pukka lifting eyes for a RIB and outboard worth quite a bit more than that and which I really wouldnít want to see coming adrift in a seaway doesnít seem that bad to me. But maybe I have become desensitised to costs having just upgraded our electronics, installed an auto-pilot and about to have a new canopy and cockpit upholstery

On a serious note, having previously bought one or two RIBs as tenders to go on davits I have bought the bespoke lifting eyes on the basis that relative to the cost of the tender set-up the cost is insignificant and I didnít want any issues with them failing in a lumpy sea due to the forces exerted on them. The old adage ĎDon't spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar...í springs to mind.
    Hi there as you say you donít mind spending £60 On a ďpukka lifting eye ď and I do completely agree with you but to my mind the only one Iíve found is far from ďpukkaĒ all it consists of is 4 small squares of stainless with holes drilled in the middle and 2 M8 button head screws and 2 eye bolts ,nothing pukka there in my opinion , ok in my original post I said I wanted it done while I was down the boat but I have some scrap stainless at home so it can wait and it will save me £55

Quote Originally Posted by Restoration man View Post
    Hi there as you say you don’t mind spending £60 On a “pukka lifting eye “ and I do completely agree with you but to my mind the only one I’ve found is far from “pukka” all it consists of is 4 small squares of stainless with holes drilled in the middle and 2 M8 button head screws and 2 eye bolts ,nothing pukka there in my opinion , ok in my original post I said I wanted it done while I was down the boat but I have some scrap stainless at home so it can wait and it will save me £55
    Fair enough. I do agree that the profit margins that marine related businesses typically work to are a source of annoyance and it is sometimes satisfying to find a solution that doesn’t involve parting with more of your hard earned than you have to

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast