Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VisitMyHarbour

Default Re: VisitMyHarbour

another user of vhm and marine navigator on an old tablet. agree with other views. I do couple with navionics on my phone as it's sometimes easier just to whip the phone out of my pocket and have a look at tides etc.

I have installed a quark ais receiver/gps over wifi for about a ton and now have ais data which is useful and works well. I agree that marine navigator is a tad clunky/quirky. the ais warnings flash when a target is within a close range but this then seems to nuke the distance to waypoint data...maybe it's me

other issue I have - again maybe it's my tablet being old, but the refresh is clunky so sometimes have to wiggle the zoom to get the charts to quilt properly. Overall tho it's reliable and the chartset is great.

I was wondering if anyone has got open cpn for android and whether this works nicely on a tablet?

Quote Originally Posted by nicappotamus 2 View Post
    another user of vhm and marine navigator on an old tablet. agree with other views. I do couple with navionics on my phone as it's sometimes easier just to whip the phone out of my pocket and have a look at tides etc.

I have installed a quark ais receiver/gps over wifi for about a ton and now have ais data which is useful and works well. I agree that marine navigator is a tad clunky/quirky. the ais warnings flash when a target is within a close range but this then seems to nuke the distance to waypoint data...maybe it's me

other issue I have - again maybe it's my tablet being old, but the refresh is clunky so sometimes have to wiggle the zoom to get the charts to quilt properly. Overall tho it's reliable and the chartset is great.

I was wondering if anyone has got open cpn for android and whether this works nicely on a tablet?
    Have OpenCPN and relevant O-Charts. Switched from Marine Navigator because AIS seems to be more reliable on OpenCPN. Both on Lenovo 10" tablet. Further advantage of OpenCPN is the ability to run on a desktop/laptop which makes passage planning much easier.
    H
    Remote boat monitoring/control For peace of mind
    http://www.skippersmate.co.uk

Not tried AIS on any tablet, what's the currently recommended best way of doing that?
    Graham. Bavaria 42 Vision, "Scala"

Quote Originally Posted by Scala View Post
    Not tried AIS on any tablet, what's the currently recommended best way of doing that?
    Android or Apple tablet?

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Android.
    Graham. Bavaria 42 Vision, "Scala"

Android.
    For many years I have been using the chart sets from VisitMyHarbour with the Marine Navigator app. I have a basic AIS receiver that has NMEA 0183 output which i connected to a Yakker http://yakbitz.com/Yakker.aspx which sends the AIS data by wifi to the tablet. It is very straightforward to set up with no electronics or computing skills needed. If you have or going to buy an AIS receiver with wifi built in then even easier. Don't know if this is the "best" solution but I found it to be a simple solution that works for me.

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk
    Last edited by Plum; 28-04-19 at 08:23.

Thanks to all. I'll certainly get myself some VMH, the 'all you can eat' version..... and I'll look to sorting out one of Plum's 'Yakkers'.

I bought a quark https://www.quark-elec.com/product-c...ais-receivers/

I think they also sell on ebay and have a uk distribution as mine came from uk. works v well. I got the gps + ais over wifi as I wanted my laptop to be able to access the gps signal as well (open cpn on laptop)

Last year, had a problem with my VHF antenna. Eventually the problem was down to the adaptor. After take it off, I noticed there is a piece of hair in side. VHF radio came back to normal after taking the hair off the adaptor. Small hair makes big changes, this is I have learned.

Quote Originally Posted by DAVAIS View Post
    Last year, had a problem with my VHF antenna. Eventually the problem was down to the adaptor. After take it off, I noticed there is a piece of hair in side. VHF radio came back to normal after taking the hair off the adaptor. Small hair makes big changes, this is I have learned.
    How odd! Was it perhaps a ginger hair that was really copper wire?

Mike.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12