Thread: Rivnuts

Default Rivnuts

....as alternative, in some applications, to 'pop rivets'.....?

I have the tools for each. I've used each 'now and then'. That's different to having a pro 'time served' engineer's perspective on the respective merits, and when to use one over the other.

Any perspectives to share?

Default Re: Rivnuts

I use the alloy ones in a range of backplates for lighting. Specificly for a spiral locking part that holds the shell after the bp is fixed to the wall. A self-tapper would do it, but we wanted something a bit more 'production' and easy for the sparkey to use. A pop rivet would have been awkward and required a long nose tool, apart from non adjustable after setting.
    Occasionally use them in thin sheet if removing the item is envisaged.
    Since the bps have it on a tongue, I just squeese them in the vice. Much quicker than using a tool.

Land Rover owner = best tool in the world!
    Electrician In Ipswich & Southwold Yard
    Custom Panels, Eberspacher/Webasto, ECU Remapping

I can't claim any more expertise than you, but my take is that I use rivets for low(ish) load situations when I'm unlikely to want to undo them. Rivnuts are for heavier loads and for when I might want to remove whatever I'm attaching.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Each have their merits, rivnuts are useful if you may want to remove the offending item at some point.

I use a lot of Avdel brand rivnuts in production, they are relaible and strong. In a marine enviroment, you have to consider that you will need to either use stainless or aluminium rivnuts, and consider the merits .... aluminium weaker, but less corrosion issues, stainless stronger but will fight the aluminium it is installed in.

Thanks. All helps....

.....And then there are 'Threaded Inserts', but those are probably more suited to being screwed into wood, where one is mounting a regularly-removed panel for access to e.g. cabling.

Threaded inserts also work in GRP, provided it's thick enough, but they tend to be steel or die cast metal (zinc alloy?), so unhappy in a marine environment, though the ones that hold my engine cover together lasted 10 years before I had to replace them.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.