Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Volvo Penta 2003 circulation pump

I can't be the first person to suffer excessive corrosion around the copper pipe entry/exits on a 2003 circulation pump ...

I noticed bits of green and general mess around the pump when trying to track down a slow coolant loss ... when I pulled the pump off to inspect the fit of the pipes, I was shocked at how nasty and messy it was, the corrosion had distorted the seals beyond recognition.

The real shock came when I looked up how much a new one was! Is there a common conversion, rebuild, alternative, aftermarket pump at a more sensible price?

It would almost be cheaper to have castings made ...

Default Re: Volvo Penta 2003 circulation pump

Quote Originally Posted by rszemeti View Post
    I can't be the first person to suffer excessive corrosion around the copper pipe entry/exits on a 2003 circulation pump ...

I noticed bits of green and general mess around the pump when trying to track down a slow coolant loss ... when I pulled the pump off to inspect the fit of the pipes, I was shocked at how nasty and messy it was, the corrosion had distorted the seals beyond recognition.

The real shock came when I looked up how much a new one was! Is there a common conversion, rebuild, alternative, aftermarket pump at a more sensible price?

When you say the circulation pump do you mean the pump where the impeller goes? If so why are you surprised, it works in a harsh environment. Is it failing, why do you consider that it needs replaced?
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

No that is the sea water pump, not the circulation pump.

I did not say I was suprised it was failing, I said I was shocked by the cost of a new one.

As I explained, there is considerable corrosion at the points where the copper pipes seat in the aluminium pump housing.

I suspect the previous owner using o-rings instead of the correct rubber seals didn't help the water tight connections. I will re-build with the correct seals and some appropriate sealing goop to try and fill the corrosion pits. If that doesn't work, I shall look at either reaming out the sockets and fiting some Bronze bushings to bring them back to size, or machinng a complete new part on the CNC mill.

No that is the sea water pump, not the circulation pump.
    Thanks for clarifying that I have a VP2002. For some reason some owners think they know better than 200 years of engineering knowledge!

Any original part has a big ticket price; a bit like weddings.

Its only 559. Wot you complaining about ?

Key part do a repair kit for 147 it that will be any help and seal kits for the ( other ?) water pipes for 8

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    Its only 559. Wot you complaining about ?

Key part do a repair kit for 147 it that will be any help and seal kits for the ( other ?) water pipes for 8
    At 559 I would not complain as much as the ones I found were well over €1000 ...

Do you have a link to the key part repair kit? I have a set of seals on order already from parts4engines, but I am not certain I will get a watertight seal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    For some reason some owners think they know better than 200 years of engineering knowledge!
    That's because if it was any good, it would have had replaceable inserts for the pipe seats, or enough metal in the housing to allow it to be machined to take a suitable sleeve when the corrosion between the copper and aluminium inevitably set in ...

Any original part has a big ticket price; a bit like weddings.
    Not true, you can get an original waterpump for a Montego diesel for 30 ... there is no good reason for what is a very basic pump to be €1000+

At 559 I would not complain as much as the ones I found were well over €1000 ...

Do you have a link to the key part repair kit? I have a set of seals on order already from parts4engines, but I am not certain I will get a watertight seal.
    599 is Volspecs price from the replacement for the original .... I assume the original at 1k is NLA

See Volspec's website https://www.volvopentashop.com/volsp...ines%2F7726000

https://www.volvopentashop.com/volsp...%2F7726000_195

You will find the repair kit on Keypart's website. https://keypart.com/volvo-penta/dies.../2003/19831990
    Last edited by VicS; 21-04-19 at 15:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    For some reason some owners think they know better than 200 years of engineering knowledge!
    I spend most of my non-boating time working on Land Rovers, Discoverys and Range Rovers and I have yet to find almost anything that suggests that those professional engineers know much about engineering at all. At marketing, they are top notch.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    I spend most of my non-boating time working on Land Rovers, Discoverys and Range Rovers and I have yet to find almost anything that suggests that those professional engineers know much about engineering at all. At marketing, they are top notch.

Richard
    I suspect they will have been overruled by the accountants. Unless they have stopped teaching the fundamentals of mechanical engineering (they probably have as the accountants won't let them spend any money) then the principals are well understood.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast